Slip fix vs. 2, 90 degree streets

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by reb12, Aug 11, 2007.

1. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

Ok gurus. What is the preferred method to repair a break in a 1.5" main line coming out of the ground to a 4, 1.5" valve manifold? A 1.5" slip fix, or 2, 90 degree streets. Pressure not a problem, but I'm concerned about a drip leak from the slip fix. No room to do a straight repair.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If a "straight repair" is bowing the pipe into couplers *shudder*.

I'll use 90's if they make sense, if its a straight run, I'll throw a slipfix in, if the run changes direction like yours does, then 90s it is.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I never use Slip Fixes on the pressure side. I WILL use compression couplers though.

It would all depend on your exact configuration since there are many alternative methods of accomplishing the same thing. Post a GOOD picture(s).

4. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

Here's a pic. I vote for a compression fitting.

Cnv0982.jpg

Cnv0982.jpg

5. Dirty Water

Easy fix without any funky work.

Cut off manifold entirely. new male adapters in each valve. Build new manifold, drop into place.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is that class 160 pipe? Mighty thin wall. I use sch 80 unions on that kind of repair.

7. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to agree with Dirty Water. But I would take it one step further - it looks as if this manifold will be subject to UV exposure from the sun.

I would replace everything from the male adapters up with copper or something that will not be affected/degraded by UV exposure. Unless of course, you want to replace it every couple of years.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Slightly off the thread subject but I have never seen valves installed together in Texas....they are distributed aound the property close to the zone serviced. Why group them? The main water supply always loops the property.....

9. Dirty Water

Depends a lot on the property lay out. When I design systems, I typically do manifolds of 2-4 valves in their respective area's, with a short main.

10. Dirty Water

Better yet, since they are not ASV valves, dig a hole and repipe the manifold for a valvebox.