Slip Plate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Banzaitoy, Sep 2, 2000.

1. Banzaitoy

Banzaitoy LawnSite Member

I'm sure this has been beat to death and please don't flame me ......but......Have any of you had any experience using Slip Plate on your decks?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What is Slip Plate?

3. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

No clue here either? How about some discriptive info?

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

If memory serves me right, Slip Plate is a type of graphite paint. People apply this to the underside of their mower decks, so that they will repel grass, therefore there is no buildup. I've heard of some homeowners using this on the decks of their Lawn tractors, and say it lasts for about a season of normal mowing. They say before you apply it, you have to thoroughly clean the deck off, so the paint will adhear to it. I may give this a try someday.

Tim

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of farmers use it on the inside of their gravity wagons so the grain will flow out better.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The company that makes Slip Plate is Superior Graphite Company and they have a web site. It is http://www.graphitesgc.com. I have sent them the following email and I will report back here if and when I receive a reply.

Hi,
    My name is Richard Martin and I am the owner of AM Lawn Service. I am looking at purchasing Slip Plate for use on my mowers (the sales potential may be for hundreds of mowers). What I need is something that has excellant wear properties and will repell wet grass or at least make it hard for grass to stick. I have looked at PTFE paints and while they have the repelling properties I need they have very poor wear properties. The paint should be able to withstand grass, sand and small sticks being thrown at it at 200 mph for a minimum of 200 hours before needing recoating. Do you have anything that will fill these requirements?

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

light coat of diesel also works well also in your dump if you haul salt in winter

8. If it does repel the fromation of dukey it would be so easy
    to run some thru a sprayer and coat your deck after pressure washing.

A more realistic figure of 50 hours per re-applicaton
    would be acceptable IMHO.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lawrence wrote:

<b><i>A more realistic figure of 50 hours per re-applicaton
    would be acceptable IMHO</b></i>

Well I figured a lot of people were putting almost 50 hours a week on some of their machines. Having to pull your machine in and prep the deck, reapply the paint and then wait 24 hours for it to cure properly once every week or two seemed a little excessive to me. The good news is if you burnish this paint it's wear properties go up according to what I've read about it. At least it'll work around the spindles.

10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

SLIP PLATE IS A GRAFITE LUBE MADE FOR JOHN DEERE. I TRIED SOME THIS SPRING AND WAS NOT ALL THAT IMPRESSED. WET GRASS STILL STUCK TO THE DECK. IF GRASS WAS DRY IT MIGHT WORK FINE. MY FATHER-IN-LAW SPRAYS IT IN HIS GRAIN WAGONS AND IT DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB THERE. BUT HEY IT MIGHT WORK FOR YOU, JUST HAVE TO TRY AND SEE. MOWMAN