Slippery Gate Ramp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ce2000, Jun 8, 2001.

1. ce2000

ce2000 LawnSite Member

I have a heavy mesh gate ramp on the back of my trailer that gets very slippery when my shoes are damp. I slipped and fell on it yesterday, tore my jeans and skinned up my knee. I haven't had a skinned knee in years. Is there something I can do to prevent the ramp gate from being so slick?

Thanks,
    Terry
    Cutting Edge Lawn Service

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You could probably get something like sandpaper that has an adhesive contact on the back.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I haven't even thought about this until right now, but why couldn't you take a small rod or long punch and stick in the holes and bend the back side of the mesh up a fuzz to help with traction? Bend the lowest part of a few and see if it helps. I would think this would work and you wouldn't have to bend them very far. I hope this helps. I might just try this myself. :laugh:

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Repaint the gate and before the paint has a chance to dry shake some sand over the wet paint. The coarser the sand the better. When the paint drys you will have a great non-slip surface.

5. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Maybe two 8 inch wide strips of “regular” expanded metal tack welded to the “flat” expanded metal of your gate. Weld it say 4 inches in on both sides of the gate. We have the same problem with our gate and it does get slick when wet.

Hope this helped.
    :D

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my suggestion would be to try a different shoe sole

7. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I worked with a guy one time, and he had a trailer with a slippery expanded metal gate as well. The problem was that the expanded metal was welded on the wrong way. What I mean, was that the expanded metal was installed vertical to the gate. When the metal was welded horizontal to the trailer, there was a better surface in which to get traction. It's hard for me to describe without being able to show you a picture. Look at your trailer gate, and see if that might be your problem. God luck, Bill Craig:cool:

8. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Freetime - good idea with adding the strips of "standard" expanded metal. To take that a step further ce2000, you could have all the gate mesh replaced with the standard expanded metal. I know that involves a lot more work initially, but when done you'll be able to walk anywhere on the ramp and still have traction. Your equipment will "stick" better too.

Bill Craig, I know what you mean about the mesh being attached the "wrong way". No picture here, but facing the back of the trailer and looking at the ramp, the long dimension of the diamond-shaped opening in the mesh should run left-to-right. That's the "traction" way.

Sometimes it gets installed the other way as a means of minimizing waste when cutting sections from the 4' x 8' sheet the mesh comes in.

9. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I put a material on mine this year that works good . It is called is called "Matson Floor Grip". Made by Farwest Paint co. Tukwila, Wa.. this stuff is real chunky and added alot of traction when shoes or ramps are wet. Check with yiour local paint suppliers.

10. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor Supply has a poly coating that is used for pickup beds. It's made for a tough non-slip surface. You put it on with a roller. I plan on putting it on my trailer when things slow down.
    david