Slipping on Hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Thumb, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Green Thumb

Green Thumb LawnSite Member

I wear a good leather boot when I'm working but on Hills I still have a tendency
    to slip when I'm traversing across. Does any one reccommend "Spikes" either
    base ball or foot ball shoes.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If you feel you need to wear spikes to gain traction then by all means get some cleats. Try to get steel spikes, they will dig into the hillside better.

3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had the problem of my feet slipping out, I usually have a problem with the mower wanting to skid down the hill. You tell me how to keep the mower from skidding (or slipping) down, and I'll tell you what kind of boots I wear :)

Kevin

4. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

I wear a pair of New Balance sneakers that have very aggressive tread, almost like spikes. We have one development that has banks that are so steep, and have never slipped yet. (21"push mower on it)
    P.S. I wear sneakers because I walk behind our walk behinds. (mainly to stay in shape, I walk about 4-5 hours a day).

5. Hiking boots & shoes have soles designed not to slip. More agressive tread design and generally a sole composition that holds better.
    A lot of work boots have soles made for walking on concrete and just don't hold as well on damp hillsides.
    Turf shoes with their little rubber cleats work well too.

They'll hold on anything you can put a 21" mower on, plus you don't have to change shoes just to get into the truck.

Dave

6. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

A good pair of boots would be the best, there is some ankle support that helps. Golf shoes that are like cross trainer shoes work okay, they are not that bad if you are walking alot during the day. They can be hard on sprinkler heads though.

7. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member