Slit Drains

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kutnkru, Feb 11, 2001.

1. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have a client who has inquired about some drainage work. We would like to put in approximately 150' of drainage to remove the standing water problems she often has in the spring time in her backyard. I would like to direct this water down a hill on the side of her home towards to the front lawn areas by the roadside.

There is a 30'+ oak tree at the top of the slope, and another about 15'-20' away at the bottom in the front yard. The tree in the front yard is off to one side away from the direct flow of water but could experience some seepage into the area depending upon location of the drains outlet.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with slit drains?? Can these be used in place of the perferrated poly pipe for doing lawn drainage??

Thanks for any light you could give on this situation.
    Kris

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

You can use the slit type drains as a collector, but you are going to have to bring them to a drain pipe they don't handle the volume of water a pipe can. take a quick look around and see if there is a storm drain near the curb:)
    You might be able to dead head it into there. remember slit type drains (2" X 4"-6") are slower than a pipe type drain.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have already talked with the guys from the local roto-rooter who are licensed and insured to do this (tying into the main). I was just wondering if I could possibly channel the water from the top flatland areas with the corregated and then use the slit drains to dispense the water going down the sloped area into the ground. Could this be a cheaper alternative??

Kris

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Always found the more I tear up the the more money it cast to fix:) You could use the slit drains to disperse the water but remember it's going to slow down a lot,plus if it starts to collect dirt it will plug up faster than pipe. you need a plumber to connect to a storm sewer? Not here, water going in there anyways. If's it a sanitary then here it's a NO way No how:)