1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slit Seed Help..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I received a call today from a customer who wants slit seeding done. My problem is I have never done this.. I guess my question is, how hard is this to do? Can I screw up this guys lawn for the summer if I do it wrong? Also, What are the basic steps involved? I did a search but I need some advice fast I have to call him tomorrow. Thanks for helping a rookie..:usflag:
  2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

It ain't tough. Call around rental stores and find out who's got a slit seeder. I get $24/1000 sf to slit seed an existing lawn, with a $100 minimum. I typically try to apply about 2-3 lb of seed/1000 sf when applying a mix of KBG/Fescue/Rye.

Doesn't take long to do, and isn't terribly hard. Try it once, keep track of your seed costs and usage, rental costs, as well as your labor, then you can tweak your price so you get a decent markup and return on your time.
  4. Mrk'sLawn

Thanks for your help! I think this may be something I can handle with out too much trouble :clapping: :clapping:
  5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Renting a slit seeder might be a challenge.
  6. eruuska

I've never had trouble forming the words "I'd like to rent a slit seeder, please" :cool2:
  7. Dweezil

Dweezil LawnSite Member

Killswitch is probebly right for this area, I've been in rental for 8 years now and can only suggest places that might have one, I can't name one rental store that I know has one.
  8. wannaquitmydayjob

wannaquitmydayjob LawnSite Member

Can't find slit seeders? Have you actually TRIED forming the words "can I rent a slit seeder please"? Home depot doesn't rent them but most independent rental co.s do
  9. Mrk'sLawn

Around here we have Drake's Rental and I think one called Taylor Rental.. Anyway , It was a kickback from a LawnChem acquaintance. He told me they can't do anymore slit seed jobs they're booked.. I was thinking of charging between 6 and 10 cnts sq ft.. This sound about right? After a figure out seed cost and rental + labor I should be able to get the job done in a hour or two..

Thanks again
  10. eruuska

Hmmmm..... that comes to between $60 and $100 per 1000 sf. Seems kinda high if you ask me. But hey, if you can get it, payup more power to you!