Slit seed or till the He!! out of it???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an area on a lawn and last season, I aerated, slit seeded with tall fescue mix.. It did ok, but when it got warm in june it turned completely brown. Now it is came back some, but patchy.

I have just aerated it and in some spots, my lesco split drive aerator didn,t hardly make any holes. The ground is just that hard.

Do I slit seed again or till it up and then seed, which would be the best way to go?

Also for the ones in the Missouri/ Midwest area, What is the latest you would slit seed a lawn

2. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Till the hel* out of it, amend the hel* out of it, then seed the hell out of it.
    As far as your last question, can't help ya there. I'm way down here in the land of cotton.:D

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea tilling is what I am leaning towards, but would like to slit seed, because there is more slit seeding he wants done.
    I did a soil test and it needs lime also.

Thanks

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Need to get organic matter into the soil

You can till it if you doing a sectional renovation

If it is a section within a larger area. Wet the soil the day before then core it. Spread compost over the holes core it again, rake what ever compost is still there into the remaining holes. Leve it out and seed. Cover seed with a fine layer of compost or peat moss.

5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

as for your question about slit-seeding in the midwest, we do it until late October, usually -- depending on the weather. Our ideal time to start is now---ground isnt rock hard quite yet.