Slit seeder coverage ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by RicVa, Jul 26, 2005.

1. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

I plan to overseed my yard this September by renting a slit seeder. I am choosing a slit seeder because I have a areas where I plan to spray roundup in an attempt to get rid of (or at least reduce) the bermuda that is invading my fescue.

My question is - will two perpendicular passes of the slit seeder provide enough coverage of an entirely dead area of turf? I don't want to have rows. Also, I have read to make one pass, then another pass diagonal to the first, at about a 45-degree angle. Which is recommended?

The slit seeder is not a machine I've used before. Anyone out there with slit seeding experience that can let me know if this sounds okay?

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The nature of the machine is not to fill in completely bare areas. It is supposed to help thicken existing turf. Have you considered sod?

3. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

I would rather seed than sod. I need to overseed other areas in the yard as well, so it makes sense for me to seed.

I have read not to till, and that slit seeding will give better coverage than core aerating and overseeding. That said, is there a better alternative to getting this section of lawn renovated with seed?

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

1 kill off the area you want to seed
    2 run the over seeder over the area 2 times
    3 mow it as short as possible
    4 slit seed it in two directions
    5 water water water

5. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds like what I was planning except for step #2. So why is step #2 in there? Is it to tear up some of the dead grass and loosen the soil?

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

All hole in one said, and core aerate it. Also the two passes, go diagonal acoss the first pass useing 1/2 seed rate each pass.

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

The hole purpose of slit seeding to make good seed to soil contact.. The more soil the seed can hit the better. I do run my thatcher over bare dirt to prevent wash out too. Iv never had to over seed a new install yet and iv laid 2,500.0pound of seed this year alone

8. RicVa

RicVa LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear that two passes will suffice and I don't need to manually rake the heck out of the dead area or anything.