Slit Seeder Vrs. Aerate/over Seed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ANDERSON, Aug 31, 2003.

1. ANDERSON

ANDERSON LawnSite Member
    from INDY

What are the pros and cons to slit seeding an established lawn? Which one would be more cost effective?
    Will I get the same results either way?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

on what you own to do it.
    Slit seeders are best and easiest. Also most expensive to rent.
    Aerater will work, but need multiple crossing passes to make enough holes, and even then it won't be as solid/consistant as the slit seeder.

3. ANDERSON

ANDERSON LawnSite Member
    from INDY

I've never used a slit seeder. Does the machine move rather quick? Will I go through the same amout of seed? The customer has three acres and wants it all done. This is an established lawn with alot of bare spots. I was only concerned with, while the blades cut a slit in the soil, will the grass close up before the seed is dropped in the channeled soil. Thanks for your help, and I'm open for ideas.

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

1st Products has an attachment called a seeda-vator. If it was a normal residential property I would aerate and overseed but 3 acres is a lot of broadcasting.

This is the website:1st Products

It does a great job. I think that you will be pleased with the results it gives.

5. Mike Bradbury

that's the same as my Woods super renovater! First roller preps, seed drops, rear roller covers. Do a great job.
    Ideal for your situation if one is available to rent.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The only thing I don't like about the aerator in the picture is that it is compacting the hole

7. Mike Bradbury

(it's not an aerator):angel: