Slit Seeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony S, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Tony S

Tony S LawnSite Member

I need to seed a 4k area. I have removed ALL the old grass, and it is now just bare soil.<br>Should I loosen up the soil with my dethacher and spread seed with a spreader, or should I rent a slit seeder? Will a slit seeder work well on bare soil? Which is the best way for maximum germination?

2. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Slit seed is best. Make sure not to rent a seeder that drops seed first and then mashes them into the soil. Some rental guys call this a slit seeder but it's not. If money is the problem then charge more for slit and tell you customer he will get more germination.

3. AllAround NY

AllAround NY LawnSite Member

I did a job like this last year. I would use a power rake to loosen the soil. Then seed and lime and starter fertilizer. I used a slit seeder last year, It was a lot of hard work and it cost $98.00 a day to rent. The lawn I used it on had thin spots. I dont think it's all its cracked up to be. It really kicked my butt.<p>Jeff

4. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

A walk behind slit seeder is a lot of work.

5. Since you already have a bed prepared you<br>should just broadcast the seed then hand<br>rake then roll then apply Penn Mulch.<p>You normally would just a slit seeder so<br>you don't have to prepare a seed bed.