slit seeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Mar 30, 2003.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been thinking about purchasing a slit seeder to overseed with and was wondering what brands to consider. I am wanting one of the self propeled type machines but dont know enough about them to make a good decision as to what features to look for. Most lawns between 10,000 to 20,000 sqft. Also wondering how well these machines work on new lawns as a primary tool for seeding. The ground around here packs extremly hard even after tilling and most coustomers wont pay to have topsoil hauled in.

2. muddstopper

Anybody?

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

The Ryan Mataway works good but expensive and the knives need to be replaced frequently.

Not good for primary seeding.

Doug

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i love the ryan mataways but they are pricey ..bobcat also has a nice one to that is alittle cheaper than the ryan . both are nice units ..want a cheap one get a bluebird but i dont think they do a quality job!!

5. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

We use the lesco seeder. Self propel, hydro drive, hydraulic seed box opener. I have never used the ryan mataway but it looks like it could be top heavy on hills etc. The lesco seeder handles well on the hills and has been dependable so far. I would buy another one, if that tells you anything.
    I started with the cheap seeders like a bluebird. The results you get from the lesco is 10 times better than the cheaper models and you will not wear yourself out running it.
    If you do not do enough seeding to justify buying one, check out lesco and see if the will rent you theirs. Around here they charge about 100 per day.

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

what did you pay for that lesco seeder,,, they are nice !!

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use the Jacobsen Aero King. Although they work better on larger properties, I doubt you will find a unit that can deliver the success of germination more than the Aero King. Truly a top quality machine.

MATT

8. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

i have the Ryan Mattaway and love it. It does a great job and you can do a yard in no time with great results. Customers have been very pleased.

9. muddstopper

Thanks for the info people,
    I did a search on Jacobsen, Lesco and Mataway. The Jacobsen is a core areator type and the others are slit type. Which one works the best, or does it depend on the ground I would be working in. I am leaning toward the slit type but I also can see where the areator type could be used even when I dont need to apply seed. The Lesco is around $3800, I couldnt find a price on the Jacobsen or Mataway. At $3800 I think it should come close to paying for itself the first year, figuring $100 per day rental. I usually hydro seed all new lawns but I am getting a lot of calls for overseeding. I have found that overseeding with a hydroseeder doesnt give me the kind of results I want. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

10. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I also have a Ryan Lawnaire IV aerator that I use when seeding also. I personally get much better results with the slit Mattaway because you get a more consistent stand of grass. A aerator works good but sometimes you get places that seed only comes up where the holes are and it doesn't fill out like the slit seeder does. I aerate and then drag the cores after they have dried and use the Mattaway and get a very plush lawn. I searched for used units and found this one in mint condition 1 year old for $2100.