Slit seeders: Feed box in front or rear?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jan 19, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Does anyone know which of these set-ups have a higher germination percentage? I would think the one in front would cause the seed to come into contact with the soil better. Just looking for opinions.

MATT

2. Our slitseeder is a matteway that is in the back but it has 10 tubes that feeds the seed to 10 discs that put the seed right in the slits.Reels under the machine cut the slits

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

odin00,

Did you spell that name correctly? I did a search and can find nothing with that brand name. What size of engine does that model have and how much did it cost?

MATT

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a RYAN Mataway seeder. I purchased an excellent condition used one this year for $1700. New ones go for about $5000 to $5500. Mine has a 10hp Briggs on it, I think the new ones come with 11hp Honda motors. Mine works great and wouldn't buy a new one if you can find a good used one. Have to do alot of slitseeding to make up $5000 just to recover your investment.

5. Walker talker

Sorry forgot to mention its made by RYAN its a tough machine although it has a lot of belts and even some small chains.

6. Got mine in 1996 for 3900$ and it has grossed a lot of money
    And mine has the 10 horse briggs to
    Lot of belts on mine

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

WOW...that's a lot of money. What is the size? This must be a pull behind model?

8. No pull behind it has a front wheel drive and has 10 discs spaced at 2inches each
    Great machine and money maker,and a real big money maker after a drought year

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Dammit Man, that is one awesome machine. Now I know they are so expensive. I am investigatint more on this.

Thanks
    MATT