1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slit seeders: Feed box in front or rear?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jan 19, 2002.

1. I've had good luck with many types.

Blue bird.

It's in the seed to soil conact ratio, does not matter front or back.

Although the Mataway and Lesco are self propelled which will make all the differance in the world.

The Landpride is 3pt hitch.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Does the machine run at just one speed? How many pounds does the hopper hold? How well does the machine work as a "dethatcher"?

3. I'm pretty sure you could get different reels for the Mataway, and get the dethactcher. It's been a long time since I used one, but I think it's a hydro drive.

The Lesco Renovator does a real good job. It's a hydro drive.

You can keep the power rakes with seend boxes added, they are only self powered by the tines moving.
  4. mine is a gear drive the hopper holds 30 35lbs of seed.New ones could be hydro i dont know mines a 1996 with 10 horse briggs.
    gear drive turns the front wheels
    goes one speed but you can make it go slower by turning the throttle down but the seed rates are calabrated for the top speed.

Does anyone have any input or experance with the turfco? Thinking of getting one need a first hand opinion of how well this unit works as a slitseeder and a detatcher, Thank you in advance for your help. Scott
  6. walker-talker

from Midwest

How easy are the reels to change out?

Does the Bluebird seeder do as well as the Ryan, the only difference being the Ryan is self propelled?

7. You must push it when the tine/knives don't touch.

They all do a good job, but the self propelled ones are much easier to use.

I would take a serious look at the Lesco Renovator. It's half the price of the Ryan Mataway and does just as good.

However I did have my problems with one, but I guess that's what you get buying one used from a rental place. $500 couldn't pass it up. Spent just over $1000 fixing it.

$3700 brand spanking new.
  8. walker-talker

from Midwest

As you were typing that last post I was at the Lesco website. They want $3862.07 for the Renovator w/ 8hp Honda. I can get a Mataway w/ 11hp for $4140. I am stearing towards the Ryan. I can get a Turfco for $1870 w/ 5.5hp Honda. I have not got a price on the Bluebird just yet.

9. Walker talker
    The reels are very easy to change just a couple of hooks pull it out and then put it in
  10. The Lesco went up.

The Mataway went down over $1500 since I looked at them.

The Turfco will do the job, but it will run you to death. Same with the Blue Bird.

Also on the Blue Bird site they have a tow power rake, I wonder if you could convert it to a seeder?

The Lesco is pretty simple to use and not much to go wrong with it.

Is that price for the Ryan with a Honda or Briggs?