Slit Seeders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rob Spread & Spray, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

Anyone own one? Have you found one better than another? I have used Lesco's in the past but they stopped renting them. The local rental places rent these crappy Blue Birds. Its time to buy one!

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We purchased a lesco renovater last year very pleased with this 1.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

lesco model does a good job and is user friendly. I have a ryan mataway, it does a great job but really gives you a workout. I usually try to talk my customers into aeration and overseeding instead.

4. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

Indy, do you think that A/O does a better job than slitseeding?

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Cross aeration & overseeding over sliceseeding here in the northeast,

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I like to aerate two directions, then overseed two directions. Makes a really nice seed bed, especially if you give the plugs a chance to dry out.
    I've run several different slit seeders over the years. The Ryan does a better job, but is not worth the aches and pains at the end of the day. The Lesco is easier to use, does a great job, and cost ALOT less.

7. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

We have 2 Ryan mataways and one Lesco overseeder. Love the Ryans. We bought the Lesco from a guy going out of business. Selling it, but haven't set a price yet.

8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a classen, there are better. I also had the mataway. To big and clunky on hills and will not drop a decent seed in the slit on side hills. Try a turfco if you can.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

probablly not a better job but it does a good job for overseeding a established lawn. I recomend it because it easier,faster and I can do it for less $ so the customer is happy.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

lesco and classen are the same design with a lesco you will get a bigger engine for less money.