Slit seeders

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ProLawns, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering buying a slit seeder this year and was wondering if they dig up a lot of thatch especially when used to seed fescue over bermuda. And if so is it enough that you have to rake it up?

2. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I use a Lesco Renovator and I don't rake up the thatch. I let it act as mulch to retain moisture. Or I tell the homeowner to mow it after a couple of days of being watered in. I've had great results when slit-seeding, I charge $75/K and guarantee it in the fall.

3. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lesco makes the best one for the money. They are offering 0% interest for 2 years. Ryan makes one that does a little better job, but it is big $$ and an absolute bear to run.
    As far as raking up the thatch goes, I leave it if it is relatively light. Just rake up the big clumps.

5. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Bluebird and I love it. But, no seed hopper. I prefer to use a spreader and then rake it into the slit. This way I'm sure the seed hit the dirt and customers like to see the seed on the ground.

6. phaessler

phaessler LawnSite Member

Just got a Bluebird, hoping to renovate after a rough blight season. Was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions. 1) To get it 1/4 to 3/8 into the soil, need to used position #4 only two to go? this seem normal?? 2) Is it too early to start, been awful dry here in South Central Virginia, and still above 85 during the day, guess I am getting anxious ?
    Thanks for any help.

7. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

I've used them all and I think Lesco makes the best one for the money. I paid mine off within the first three weeks I owned it. However, have fun changing the blades!!!

8. virginia

virginia LawnSite Member

Hi ProLawns I am in your area and would like to have my lawn slit seeded. Also wondering if you are taking new customer? I would like to get a quote. I can't PM you for some reason, would you please send me your contact information if you are interested.

Thanks.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lesco renovator and it all depend on how thick the thatch layer is whether it will need to be picked up. 90% don't but I've done some jobs where its so thick you have to pick it up or the seed won't see any light.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

As mac said, it depends on the thatch layer, Ive seen the Ryan's slice up thatch like little strips of sod,from the feed discs .If you're talkin dead surface grasses, like a previous poster said, just rake up the excess.

The walk behind slit seeders we use are Ryan Mataway’s and Lesco Renovator’s.The Lesco is easier to use and Carry's a smaller price tag then does the Ryan. The Lesco does hills a lot better then the Ryan,the Ryan can be useless on anything but flat terrain. The Ryan does a first class excellent job, feeds the seeds through tubes to discs that in turn plant the seed into the slit,achieves excellent germination rates. The Ryan is just a bear for employees to operate. The Lesco is much easier to operate then the Ryan, is hydro driven, has Power reverse, fixed blades that slice as seed is cut into the soil. The renovator also has a back brush that drags loose soil over the slice seedbed, very good seeder. The Lesco delivers a perfect, even distribution we always get excellent germination rates.