Lawn Care Forum banner

Slit seeding/lawn renovation

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Snyder's Lawn Inc 
#1 ·
Hello,

A customer of ours lawn is nearly completely dead from the high temps and lack of rainfall this season. It was a Kentucky Bluegrass, Fescue, & Rye blend seeded lawn.

Thus far we core aerated the lawn, followed by power raking (not dethatching), overseeded, and a light app of fertilizer. After about a week we saw certain areas that were roughed up growing new seed. The thatch and old lawn layer was thick and did not loosen up as we had thought.

Just today we ran over the lawn, now with our Billygoat slit seeder. This was nearly what a dethatching job would do, since everything was basically dead. It loosened up the soil and old thatch layer great! Prior to the slit seed, we broadcasted a light amount of seed. Figured this was the proper way to do so, since the slit seeder drops the seed first then slits. I would have added seed to the slit seeder box but it clogs up very easily and does not drop evenly.

My question is, would you recommend broadcasting an EZ mulch or similar seed aide product, spreading a light layer of straw mulch, or just let the lawn sit as is and keep watering?

The seed bed to me looks great, the slit seeder mixed the seed, soil and loose thatch very well. From my experience it should take in no time. I just do not want the seed and soil to be too exposed to the elements and what not.

Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you, Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Sound fine to me... your first steps were possibly unnecessary, in that the power seeder stirred up the surface enough to get the seed down, into the sweet spot... they're designed to do that job specifically, w/out additional help...

I hope to have pix soon of grass germinating in the dead grass layer, w/out any kind of cultivation... With the rain we're getting now, on Day 3, I may have germination in 5 days... :)

#3 ·
I did one and I thatch it sweep the thatch up and slit seed the lawn and then Blew straw in bare areas

I dont like leaving thatch when trying seed more on dead grass areas rather remove it We had 4'' of rain last friday and today the lawn is green filling in well
Come monday will apply some slow release fert/iron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.