1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slit Seeding prices

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TurfCo LLC, Jan 26, 2008.

1. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

I am starting to hand out estimates for spring 2008 slit seeding. Right now I am charging $50 per 1000 sqft with a price break of $45 per 1000sqft after 20,000 sqft. What are others around here charging?

My price includes seed, labor, and starter fert.
  2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking about adding this service myself for 2008.

As far as what to charge how much seed in $ do you go through in 1,000 sq feet?

What machine do you use?

Do you test for thatch before you seed?

Do you mark sprinklers or have the customer do it?

Do you test soil Ph? and or apply lime etc.?

3. TurfCo  LLC

It depends on how much grass is there to work with. On new lawns 10 pounds per 1000 feet, and on lawns that are thin anywhere from 4 to 8 depending on what condition they are in.

I have a Lesco renovator 20 slit seeder

I don't test pH, and the machine dethatches as it is seeding.

The customer must mark sprinkler heads, shallow buried lines (like dog fences), or anything else they don't want torn to shreads.
  4. TurfCo  LLC

Come on guys.... I know there are many of you that offer this service....
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You better do some research on what prices on grass seed and especially starter fert. are going to do this year. We have been charging 75 per M, and we are going to have to increase this year due to the price difference on starter fert. this year.
  6. TurfCo  LLC

I just checked starter prices, and yes, they've gone up. I was getting it from Lesco last year for about $16 a bag, now it's nearly $28! Seed is about the same. Most people in my area are getting as cheap as $46 and up to about $55.
  7. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

I'm really interested in getting a renovator right now and really pushing seeding this year. How do you like the Lesco renovator? What's the cost for a new one, and are they worth it?

I just got off the phone with Lesco and am going down Monday to go over seed and fert prices etc. I went to two local dealers today and they had everything but renovators, and I don't know anyone around here who does that I can get any feedback from, so any info here is much appreciated.
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am a big Lesco fan and purchase almost 100% of my equipment and supplies from them and they treat me good.

With that said....I just bought a new Lesco Renovator from them this summer, and although it is a very nice machine and does a very good job, it is very slloooooooooowwwwwwww!

In talking with others I think you will be much happier with the Turf Revitalizer made by Turf Solutions! Never thought I would say that...but the Lesco Renovator is just too slow!

Good Luck as the seeding business can be fun, but most of all a lot of $$$$ if you do it right!
  9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm very interested in the Lawn Solutions renovators myself - I just wish I could see them in person and actually demo them before buying them. There are some video links in this thread link.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have both units and i like both the lawn solutions machine is faster and i like it alot