Slit Seeding two Acres

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RABBITMAN11, Oct 12, 2010.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent 8 hours slit seeding two acres. One pass only. I would be there forever if I would have went two directions. Plan on doing a aeration and overseed in spring.

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

which seeder do you have?

3. RABBITMAN11

24 inch turf revitalizer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

not the machine for the job, but got it done i guess. i have a lawn i did with a slit seeder we have once and it took quite a while, but i did not do the whole lawn. it has issues i have found in clogging up the seed metering tube flanges. that and it gets "stuck" and does not move and you have to monkey it around to get it to start going again. i have no idea, i have tensioned the tines very well, not really any better. it has the 8hp honda, and i think the issue is it is underpowered. this is a pretty big slit seeder, like a mataway but classen brand.

5. RABBITMAN11

Yeah it would have been nice to use something bigger. But it got done and I made a nice chunk of change on it.

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

If your going to slice seed big acreage, a tractor with a rear pto slicer is the way to go! Life is to short to spend 8 hours walking behind any machine!

7. RABBITMAN11

I have a sulkey so at least I didn't have to walk!

8. sweetjetskier

sweetjetskier LawnSite Senior Member

2 years ago I demoed a turf revitalizer for a day, double pass on 58,000 sq ft, 70/30 blue rye.

It was a really long day,slight hill to the property,not bad.

I sold the job for $6700 and made a lot of money for a days work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

Did you have to rake up a lot of thatch?

You guys with tractors and PTO overseeders, do you ever remove the debris that comes up with over seeding?

I'm still second guessing my process. There has been so much demand for seeding that I haven't had time to rake up a lot of thatch and still get the seed in before it gets too cold.

BTW I'm using a 20" 9 horse revitalizer.

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i only disperse the large clumps of thatch, other than that it is good to leave behind for mulch