1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Slit Seeding two Acres

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RABBITMAN11, Oct 12, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut it up with the mower as I thatch. I use a JRCO rake. Works great, never had a problem.

2. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

Thanks for this reply.

I find I have much more "thatch" in areas where there is still healthy growing grass. It really just seems to be parts of the healthy plants that get chopped and then lay flat. It's not so bad where there has been a really good kill. But when fixing bare spots in otherwise good turf, there is a lot of plant material.

So you are saying that you have never had a problem leaving everything there?

I guess it makes sense. I'm thinking of all the material that goes on a seed bed when hydro seeding is done.

3. tobylou8

It's all organic, so if it isn't clumped your good.

4. jnt412

jnt412 LawnSite Member

I used a craftsman tow behind thatcher on two properties this year. One was a 3.5 acre yard which took around 3 hours to do. Pulled and mowed at the same time on both. Chopping up what was left with the mower at the end. Good tech. :drinkup:

5. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

So do you pull the thatch up, chop it, and then slit seed?

6. tobylou8

Yes. I use a JRCO rake on the front, mow it as I thatch. 2-3 passes, aerate, then seed.

7. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

When you say you aerate and then seed, do you mean core aeration and then braodcasting seed? Or do you mean core aeration and then actual slit/slice seeding?

Thanks for the replys by the way!

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

JRCO tine rake...poor man's slit seeder, lol. NOT!

Unless it's really soft soil, you're not going to get enough penetration to seed. I have used mine for doing final smoothing of new lawn installs and then going over it again lightly after broadcasting the seed to get a little burial (just gotta be careful not to plow soil on turns), but a slit seeder it is not.

I just don't want anyone thinking that the JRCO tine rake is going to take the place of a slit seeder.

9. tobylou8

Core aeration then broadcast seeding. I set my thatcher as low as possible. The effect is the same as slit seeding. Grass germinates in the holes AND comes up in nice little rows like a crop of corn.

10. tobylou8

No, it won't replace a slit seeder but the effect is the same. Early on I considered and rented a Mataway over seeder. It wasn't for me. The cost benefit ratio for my business made it an easy pass. Found an ancient Ryan Ren-o-thin for small and gated properties and never looked back. Talked to a couple of LCO's with Mataways and they said they still broadcast over top their jobs just in case their lines weren't straight.