slit seeding vs aeration and overseeding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toxic man, Apr 18, 2006.

1. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I am looking in to repairing some lawns and was going to renovate the lawns by overseeding after aerification. But,, i though would it be better to use a slid seeder and bury the seed. Does it take less water and do you get a bettter gerimation rate with a slit seeder. How far down does the seeder bury the seed below the turf? We have to water every three hours with a aeration overseed, is it this water needy to use a slit seeder?

Thanks

Lou

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you have to keep the seed moist for a couple weeks no mater how you put the seed down.

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the last post but be careful when renovating a yard that is already thick. I would just use it in areas that are bare ground or very thin due to the amount of soil it digs up. It really depends on how close together the blades on the renovator are.

If the option is there, wait until this fall.

4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Keep in mind how farmers grow crops. They plow or slice it into the ground. Seed to soil contact is the most important part. I tell customers that slice seeding is the most effective (80%) Aeration/overseeding(60%) and broadcast overseeding(20-30%) The better seed is incorporated into the soil the better. When slice seeding have the homeowner mow their lawn short so that you can get closer to the soil, the blades only need to be inbedded about 1/4". Good Luck

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

A slit seeder is the only way to get the grass up,also it dethatches a lawn another service.