Slit seeding - what does it look like?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by halldave, Oct 3, 2005.

1. halldave

halldave LawnSite Member

Hello all.

I'm new to your forum. I recently viewed a lawn that was supposedly "slit seeded". I was under the impression that slit seeding would leave "slits" or "grooves" in the soil. This lawn looked no different than traditional aerating and over-seeding. I looked very closely all over and could see no evidence of anything mechanical but the aerator.

When a lawn is slit seeded, can you tell by looking at it?

Thanks!
    Dave

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

you can definitely see slits when it has been don. Even if the soil is sort of dry and loose, there are brushes that go over it (in back of the machine) but you still see the slits.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you should be able to see slices in the ground, perhaps they didn't have the blades low enough?

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Plus thatch loads of it if they had grass.

5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture of a slit seeded lawn I did last week. The slits are clearly visible.

Kevin

Slit-Seeding.jpg

6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

What's the success of slit seeding? Can it be done here in NJ this weekend and have time for the lawn to germinate and be ok for the winter?

7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I hear a lot of people say that aerating and overseeding is better than using a slit seeder. What are the pros and cons of doing each one?

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Slit seeding brings a much higher germination rate, as dispersal, soil contact, and more optimum depth are reached. By optimum, I mean a shollwer depth. With aeration, the seeds fall down into a hole and get buried at a depth that is too deep for optimum germination due to lack of light. The seeds are much better to be on and near surface (contacting soil) and just below the surface. Indirect sunlight is allowed in promoting germination.

9. N.IN.lawnsupply

N.IN.lawnsupply LawnSite Member

We have a Land Pride 48" slit seeder/overseeder. How much would the average person charge for seeding with this? We purchased it for our own use, but would like to generate additional revenue with it.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here, we get $70 per M for actual renovation.