Slit seeding.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kandklandscape, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

We have started doing a few more services this year, slit seeding is one of them. I am wondering if any of you use a slit seeder on a new lawn? They say that slit seeders spread the seed fairly smooth and the right amount over the new lawn.

Have any of you used slit seeders to do new lawns? Have you had any bad or good exper. with using it for a new lawn?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

It works great!

I use the machine you see above.

You get the best seed to soil contact and it works much better then a broadcast seeding!

I sell the customer on the quality of seeding with a slice seeder vs. broadcast!

I also get by without seeding vs broadcast seeding.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

For new lawn installs we test the soil to see what needed and then apply the correct nutrients. Next we till up the soil and grade and level the soil then spread seed with broadcast spreader. The final step that we do is to roll the entire lawn with a lawn roller to insure good contact with soil and then we instruct customer to water their lawn every morning and again early afternoon. Always make sure you let customer know not to water in the evening. The lawn needs to dry out before evening to prevent mold growth which can kill a newly seeded lawn.

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You will get awesome results using a slit seeder on a new lawn as long as the other factors are reasonable. Just go in several different directions to avoid the crop row effect and you will have grass everywhere.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

No.

Grass germinates, sets root, and establishes itself just fine on a plane parellel with the 17th nutrient- the atmosphere.
    If there's failure, the failure is because of irrigation issues (lack of or too much), too little seed, a chemical pre-emergent barrier still present, weed pressures, or the seeding simply being done at the wrong time.

I've seen some mighty fine seed jobs- some mine, but many others not- that didn't have any straw or other moisture-preserving agent present at all.

What I have discovered, by my own experiments the last couple of years, is that it's very useful for long-term seed root development and health, is the use of ENDOmycorrhizal spores in conjunction with the grow-in.

I use this company; and the "Hydroponics" (sprayable) formulation of endo for this purpose:

http://www.fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html

(You cannot apply these spores with non-dechlorinated water, nor with a chemical tank that's not been expertly cleaned, with hydrogen peroxide being the last step before the last rinsing!)