1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

slit seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fastcat, Feb 15, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

will slit seeding give better results over pluging and overseeding.
  2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

It depends. If the soil is compacted I would go for aerating and seeding followed by dragging in the cores to mix the seed and soil. If compaction is not the cause of the problem I would overseed since it is a one step process.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, using a slit seed machine will give much better results that core aeration and seeding..

When you aerate and then seed, most of the grass will grow in the holes from aerator and not much elsewhere.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

In some cases maybe!

But remember that you are incresing the amount of time/work so there will have to be a considerable increse in the cost also.

So you will have to see if the customer is going to get any gain out of the additional cost.

Last year I slice seeded over 30 acres of residential and commercial lawns and I never aerarted one of them first.
  5. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

what do you charge per 1000 sq feet (or how ever you charge) to slit seed and should it be dethatched first.
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Should it be dethatched? is a question that varies from yard to yard. If the lawn has not been over fertilized, beat down by heavy equipment, maintained properly, etc. then you do not want to dethatch. That process takes its toll on a yard and should only be done if the thatch has become a problem. The only yards I've ever had to dethatch have been the ones that had really agressive fertilizing companies that did not let the yards break down the thatch. Just look at the thatch and if it looks like its getting built up more than normal levels, it may need a dethatching or good aeration. Aeration is a form of dethatching and I do all my yards in the fall, keeping them from needing dethatching.

You will get much better results slit seeding than by pluggin and overseeding. Not that you can not get excellent results by plugging and overseeding but you have much more control, accuracy, etc on where and how much seed you put down with the slit seeder. For my yards, aeration and slit seeding are pretty much at opposite ends. I usually only slit seed new lawn areas or really problematic areas where the grass would not come in thick enough from just overseeding. Usually a good seeding job comes from pulling alot of plugs (going 2-3 directions) and overseeding/fert.