Slitseeding in spring???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CRUZMISL, Apr 16, 2008.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi,
    I have a property that had grub problems from last year (I didn't take care of it last year). Quite a few dead areas and the grass is in a general state of disrepair. They want me to overseed now but I am reluctant. I usually only do it in the fall. I don't want to lose the money but I also don't want to have to do it twice. Is there a key to successful spring overseeding?

Thanks!
    J.

2. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

It's important to get the seed in as early as possible, make sure the soil is prepped right and, what I think is most important in the spring, more so than the fall, is correct watering.

The best chance of success though, is to explain to them that they stand a good chance of loosing the grass through the summer, and may have to do it again in the fall, and let them make the decision. But offer alternatives, like weed/fert program; soil amendments etc. to prep the lawn for a successful fall overseeding, or they'll just find somebody who will do it.

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Thanks for the response but you know how explanations go. In one ear and out the other. What are the chances I'll be back in fall if I do it right?

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty good chance you'll be back for the reason you just noted - in one ear and out the other. I always charge double because we end up re-doing about 80% of our spring seedings.