Slogan / New name?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fairwayCuts, Jan 15, 2005.

1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Well I 've got a couple of thoughts here and I'm hoping for your guys input. First, I keep thinking of changing my name because I'm worried that people will think that I'm in the business of keeping golf fairways cut, not their residential yards. I just started this past June, so it's not like I really need to worry about loosing my name recognition. Or do you think as long as I'm targeting residential cust there's no real big deal.

Secondly, if I do keep my name, I've bee trying to come up with some slogans. Let me know what you think.

“Lawn care for your St. Andrews”
    “Your personal greens keeper”
    “One yard at a time”
    “Your personal lawn caddy”

Just some thoughts.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

How about "Hire me or DIE!"

3. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

You're saying the customer may be confused by your company name, but now the tag lines you are working on refer to golf also. Forget about about golf. In fact, you can probably forget about catchy slogans because your quality of work is what will bring you the most future business. Just find a name you're comfortable with and one that the customer (who writes the check) can remember.
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

" Mastering your lawns needs "
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

i'd keep the name, just have a tagline that alludes to why you are called fairway cuts, ie "keeping your lawn up to par" or whatever.

i would absolutely avoid using anything related in any way, shape, or form to Augusta, the Masters, or St. Andrews. even loose connections can be costly as there are no 2 businesses that voraciously protect their marks than Augusta National and The Royal & Ancient. one would assume they probably have a team dedicated to sniffing out infringement.

6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

" Quality doesn't pays."
  7. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I don't think people would think that, I think they'd associate it with cutting their lawns and giving them a manicured appearance LIKE a fairway.

Did you register your name with the state? I'm pretty sure there's already a Fairway Lawn Care in Toledo, I saw the name on a big open trailer in Maumee heading into the Arrowhead business park.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see any problem with your name. But if you decide to change it, this would be the time, before you've been in business too long. And tonygreek is right on, don't ever reference anything that might be trademarked, you're just asking for trouble.
  9. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

I did register my name with the state.? I registered it last year around may or june, can't quite remember. I just tried getting on ohio's web page to search it, but it seems like it was down. Mabey you saw me? I do travel through the arrowhead park area alot. I can't imagine they would have let me register my name if someone els had almost the same name. Who knows?
  10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

fairway, did you simply register it as a ficticious name/dba, or by "register", you filed the name as part of a new business filing such as an llc or corp?
    a ficticious name or dba filing gives you zero protection.