slope drainage help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ziob, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

hi guys,
    a buddy of mine has a drain in his driveway where all the water goes to it is in the corner at the top of a relatively steep slope. water was piped from the "storm drain" about 3/4 of the way down the hill and into nothing just stopped. Well the idiots never glued the pipe or secured it so the drain failed and washed the bank out. My question is when we get the drain repaired any ideas of what to pipe it into? what do you guys do in the northeast? i was thinking of just piping it into a small drywell full of 3/4" stone to allow it not only somewhere to go but to also drain as before it just went right into the mud. Also any ideas for slope plant erosion control for the bank its in connecticut was thinking alot of creping juniper.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

What is the soil type where you're wanting to place the dry well? I ask because that will indicate how effective a dry well will be. Volume and frequency of use come to mind.

If it is effective and will work great. The other question how big an area is the drain draining?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ziob

Ziob LawnSite Member

not a huge area......don't want to pipe it right out into the lower yard as it'll just create a potential wash out mess. thinking small dry well would atleast let the water seap out...soil is pretty sandy and rocky underneath the top soil so should drain well.

4. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you considered a rainwater harvesting system?

5. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

you could pipe it out through out the yard using a french drain. had a similar problem and the french drain worked perfectly. clay soil too

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I'd dry do the dry well if it is sandy and rocky.