Sloppy brick patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dreamscape, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Dreamscape

Dreamscape LawnSite Member

Had a customer call me this morning that recently had a patio built and was unhappy with the neatness of the contractors performance. He would like to know if there is anything we can do to clean up his messes. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...sloppy mortar work. See attached picture.

mvc-006s.jpg

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

A wire brush cup on a large right angle grinder. That should clean most of it up with out tearing it up too bad. Try a small section first somewhere in case the brush wears on the brick too much. I've done this before but it was brand new stone, so you couldn't see the color difference. You could always "weather" it artificially after you clean all the mortar up by flingind some topsoil and sand around and rubbing it in with a broom while wetting it. Then sweep it up and wash it down good.

Hope this helps!

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if anything is worth it on a job like that. Seems like a lot of labor that the customer may not be willing to pay. Why does he not have the installer do the repair? Did he pay for that job? I would warn him that it may not be 100% repairable.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The job IS a mess!

But I'm thinking along the lines of CT - you may be adopting a big set of problems that will follow you for awhile.

If it were me I'd tell them I was really busy right now, and that they might try to get the original installer to try the things guido mentions, or even try some scrubbing with some muriatic acid. The aggregate looks like it's already exposed, so the acid shouldn't change the color much.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Looks like a home owner job!!
    You sure the homeowner didn't do it?
    If your looking to clean it up figure a couple of days time!

6. Dreamscape

Dreamscape LawnSite Member

I think you guys are right...am posting another pic or 2 for you to see. Not so sure the clean up would be a lot better than the already butchered original. Hmmm, judging from the landscape and other things there, this could have been a homeowner project. Thanks for your assitance, I do appreciate it. Think I'll tell them I am real busy at this point, which I am, and hike on down the road.

Dick

mvc-009s.jpg

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't any experience but would a light sand blasting do anything to soften it up? Might be something to try in an out of the way spot.

8. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Definatly amature work. I wouldn't touch it.

I would give them a good price on a new installation.

Good Luck,
    Jim L

9. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Possibly pressure washing it, but be careful not to blow out a joint. Also a grinder with a steel brush would help. Definetly a by the hr. job.

10. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Jim L.

David