Slow 2001 Hustler Z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by jdhardin, Sep 11, 2007.

1. jdhardin

jdhardin LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Hustler Z with the 23hp Kawasaki engine, and over the last season or two, I've noticed that it has slowed down quite a bit. To make sure I wasn't crazy, I checked it with a GPS unit today and saw about 8 mph maximum without the blades engaged. I use this mower only for my 4 acre yard, and it currently has about 200 hours on it. It originally had the choke on the throttle, and my dealer replaced this with a side mounted choke. I only mention this because the throttle now has a stop where the choke used to be, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting full throttle. The choke mod was done about 4 years ago, and I didn't notice the performance went down until a year or two ago.

Any suggestions?

Jay Hardin

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First thing you need to do is check the engine RPM's.
    If they are within spec I would look at the hydro belt to make sure it is not slipping.
    Does the engine have power when cutting grass?
    Air filter clean?
    Engine running ok?

3. jdhardin

jdhardin LawnSite Member

Is there a relatively simple way to check the RPM? I'm not sure how I'd do that. I clean the air filter pretty often, and it appears pretty clean right now, but I haven't replaced it in a couple of years. It is the original style air filter rather than the raised style, so it gets dirty easy. But usually if the filter gets too dirty, the plugs will foul and the engine will miss. It isn't doing that now, it's running smoothly.

Without checking the RPM I can't be sure, but it does seem to be running slower now than a couple of years ago. Take that with a grain of salt though, because I started wearing hearing protection about that time, and I may be mistaking quiet for slow.

Jay

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

You check it with a digital tachometer.
    I would start there and then start looking at other possible causes, but lets get the engine RPM's where they belong first.

5. jdhardin

jdhardin LawnSite Member

I assume you're talking about an optical or laser tachometer? Where do you measure the RPM, on the cooling fan?

Jay

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am speaking of using a digital tachometer that attaches to the spark plug wire.