Slow Computer

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by bob, Oct 4, 2003.

1. DannyHatt

DannyHatt LawnSite Member

Sorry for posting twice, didnt see this one from you. Ok, this sounds like you have a file that is loaded in Ram, and doesnt want to go away.

When a file is on your hard drive, and also loaded in Ram, the file becomes locked.

Each file on your computer has assigned flags to it. These flags or Attributes are as follows:

-hidden
    -system
    -read only
    -write

To figure out which file it is, is not easy. Adware may do this for you, or your virus scanner. To explain to you how to fix this would mean i would have to write a book for you.

Like i said, run Adware and Norton, if this doesnt help, send an email to Sean..

Danny Hatt

2. DannyHatt

Another thing on this thread is fonts.

If you have a ton, everything you load will have to load the fonts first.

Copy your fonts to a new directory, don't move them, copy them, and then remove the ones that you think you dont need. If you find that you deleted the wrong ones, you can always go into the directory you copied and get them back.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Lately, I installed XP, but had Win 98 last summer.

Last spring, I had a nasty time trying to run defrag.

But I found out that if I hooked up to the web using Juno, which uses Int. Exp., then closed it out, I could run defrag all the way as long as I did not shut down the computer.

Without that, defrag only went 1 to 4 percent and continually restarted its process - all night one time.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I wound up taking my computer to an expert to get fixed. They deleted the whole hard drive - everything! Then re-installed Win.98 and a few other things. I'm still in the proccess of putting all the programs back on. Naturally, I backed all the important things up. The computer surfs real fast and its like getting a new machine for a fraction of the cost.

5. DannyHatt

You should go to win me..

This will give you the system restore feature. If your computer ever goes bad, you can restore it..

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This is what happened to my PII 400. Once I figured out how to stop all the crap that was running, it is again a fast computer.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my pc is doing the same thing also in outlook when i check my mail it wont remember the password

8. DannyHatt

Next time it prompts you for a password, check the box, remember password.