slow down or fasten my seatbelt?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by marionlandscape, Oct 27, 2005.

1. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

what do you guys think about growing too fast? I have been warned against it but is it really a problem? I am a 7 months old, already have 4 trucks on the road an office, a shop, and an experienced crew. Now we are signing twice as many contracts for next year and I haven't even marketed the area yet. what would you guys do?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

If you grow too fast, and dont have enough work, you'll rapidly find yourself in debt because of the lack of work to pay for all the equipment and labor. I suppose if you have enough work to keep your crews out all day everyday, you should be ok financially. theres probably other reasons too, but I dont know them yet as I'm stilll new to the field myself.

3. Heath

Heath LawnSite Member

fasten it and hold on!!!!

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Winter is coming think ahead!

Warning Mr.Robinson WARNING WARNING

Raise your prices!!WARNING

Your only 7months old and you can talk already??Lol

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would slow down, at least stay where you are. If you're not growing in EVERY direction, it may feel right but from what I gather, you could be in for dire straits soon. Nothing beats experience, I'm in my 4th year and this is my FIRST year I can honestly say this business RULEZ! 2.5k left to go until I hit 30k for the year, I think I'll make that and some extra, but it didn't come by me spending a fortune thou I did spend some, it was a combination of equipment, customer BASE, and experience... Although to me 30k is a small fortune, there's guys here laugh at me for bragging about this piddly amount.
    It appears you're spending more and more to increase your end of the base, of course your friends are happy working for you but there was nothing mentioned of INCOMING. My idea of growing too fast is when I got more INCOMING (work, that is) than I can finish, doesn't matter how MUCH I can handle, what matters is that I got MORE than what I can do, regardless of size.
    To be blunt, I can gross more by myself than the owner of a 120-truck corporation takes home for the simple reason so long I got more work than he does, I got more % of $.

First rule - ALWAYS have a FULL schedule, everything else comes second.