Slow growing lawns by Scotts company

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper3, Sep 19, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Saw something on Discovery chanel on Scotts turf supplies. They are gene splicing grass to grow slower scary scary thought!! whats next?

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

heard same thing on biz report on local news last week. Scotts is in process of making grass that'll grow VERY SLOW. They had about 20-30 people working on it; all other details were hush-hush & classified.
    Anyone have a plane we can drop bombs from? :)

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah cant belive it Scotts are gene splicing grass to grow at 1/2 the rate as normal grass. Might be sold by 2002

4. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

if there working on burmuda grasses that cool, it grows fast here,on really nice accounts that would mean a nicer
    look for 3 extra days..these yards get cut every thurs.or fri.and grow back my tues.might work....folks are allways playing with that type grass.what next? Well would this be bad for us, after all i have yet to be able to sell a customer of the genneral pop. two weekly services.

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 09-20-2000 at 04:59 AM]

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I also saw on the news where this slow growing stuff may never make it to the market. Because it may upset the balance of nature and the wild life that depend on it

6. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

there was an article in lawn and landscape about a chemical spray that slows the growth of grass it only worked in spots on the lawn so the contractor still had to mow over it...was applied to road side growth...lawn cutting cant be done away with that easy..nothing beats the look and the fresh smell of lawn just cut

7. Dwarf turfgrass will become the right species to plant on home turf in the next decade.

This will put a lot of you guys out of business.

I have nothing to fear since in will not be suitable for sports fields since it will take too long to recover from the daily damage inflected upon athletic turf.

Maybe it's time some of you guys went back to school?

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

thanx to your wisdom, mister stone, the world now understands why I love crabgrass and why I don't treat for it.

GEO

9. Third Day

Third Day LawnSite Member

Stone is your mowers top heavy ?? With a head that big it might just topple over. Thought that those who had the knowledge were supposed to pass it on not make others fear for their livelyhood in the next several years. Thanks for the boost. I guess I have less work to look forward to now.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Like everyone is going start plowing up their yards and planting this stuff. lol I dont think so. Anyway, i cut weeds mostly. It would be a big mistake for homeowner to try to get rid of us. Who is going to trim their hedges? Blow the drive? The grass will grow eventually and who will be around to cut it then? Clean the gutters? Listen to them ***** and whine about how they hate getting old and their illnesses etc. If this business were less profitable than it is now. There will be no one around to do the extra stuff that customers need doing. Oh yes, I forgot about the Robots......Sigh