1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slow mowing, what to do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnywill08, Jul 19, 2007.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

Well, we got a bit of rain yesterday and expect more in bits this wk. But the lawns are slowing down, and some are browning up. Alot of people are going to bi-weekly:cry:

In yrs past it wasnt a problem b/c it was just me or me and another guy part time.

Now I've got 2 full timers and want them to get min 40 hrs/wk and keep the monthly gross (and obviously net) high because like you guys, I've got bills to pay....

I'm also expecting some slow times around the end of sept to late october.

What can we advertise/do to stay busy and make some money during those times?

I'm going to do aerating in the fall.... but that's like maybe 50 accounts, good for me but not for my crew b/c it'll take bout 3-4 days....

thanks in advance!
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

There are several ways to have to keep your crew busy during slow times. What services do you provide? I offer several services to customers like, shrub trimming, fertilizer program, spraying, Tree trimming and removal, landscaping, thatching, seeding, rolling and the list goes on. In the fall offer things like overseeding, thatching, aerating, fertilizer for winter if their not on a program. Look around at the properties you take care of and look for things that need to be done and bring it to your customers attention.
  3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Know what you mean about the lack of rain. Same here. In a more affluent neighborhood where I do alot of work, many of the residents have Zoysia grass, and their lawn looks beautiful..... but it don't need cut. So glad to have the government accounts to keep us busy.
  4. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

if it's as dry as it is here. you really can't do fertilizer, hedge trimming, seeding, thatching , rolling. just too darn dry

just watch the dust blow around. that's what i do.
  5. johnnywill08

from MA z6

i'm glad to have your input, but that's a regular landscape stuff i already do. i'm thinking of stuff that a good portion of my clietele might want/need done. for example- small patios and/or decks.... i've got limited experience but know plenty of people who could assist me. thing is, not many of my 70 lawn clients/130 overall clients are going to want/need this....

cmon guys, surprise me!
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

130 clients?

You and 2 others should of PLENTY to do.
  7. johnnywill08

from MA z6

that's not as much work as it sounds.... of course the 70 lawns are great for a small young company, but with the semi-drought goin on most are bi-wkly right now. we blow thru the hedge trimming and ferts....

the 130 client rster is basically every active customer who's had or is going to have at least one thing done in this calender year.

some are plow customers only, some are fert only, some are all.....

you'd be surprised how quick we blow thru hedge trimming (or how many do it every other year)... and i've got about 50 fert clients (that only i do) that takes about 4 days per cycle (i drag ass sometimes on that). lets see, got about 25 monthly weeding clients (1 hr per house)....

i guess i'm looking for original suggestions, stuf i haven't thought of...

i'm trying to keep it within landscaping too.... no disrespect to guys who offer powerwashing sealcoating, etc.... IMO you start to fall into that jack of all trades/master of none category in the customers eyes and i want to be able to charge premium prices, which i couldn't fairly do on a project i was less confident/experienced on.

i think this is an interesting thread, maybe should be called "drought preparedness" or "idle hands are the devils plaything"... cuz i hate to be not quite busy enough (then again, i hate to be too busy, so i should probably just try to take things as they come)
  8. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Have you thought about getting into installs like hardscaping (patios, walls,...), irrigation, and lighting?