1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Slow on the new mows this year??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Apr 26, 2009.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have not taken on very many new resi mows this season at all yet, esp. compared to last year. I have gotten quite a bit of interest in the new fert/squirt aspect of my business however.

Anyone else slow on new mows? Perhaps some folks on here were right, people are doing a little of their own mowing now.

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I've picked up 10 new residential accounts this year since the beginning of April. Lowest price is $35 a week and highest is $65 a week.

I expect more calls though as it starts to get hotter and people decide they no longer want to do it themselves and all the $10 craigslisters bail out.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I watch a vacant house for out of state friends in a neighborhood I used to work in.

I have taken so far over 30 flyers off the house and mailbox from lawn services.
  4. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

And they stop deleting the professional posts because they can't compete, don't delete because you can't compete.
  5. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

I've lost a few and picked up a few new ones.
  6. Billie Bob's LLC

Billie Bob's LLC LawnSite Member

i used to do mainly commercial but had problems last year. so this year i started from scratch. i picked up about 27 residential accounts from march 20 to april 20th. plus about 20 or so good sized side jobs. all from about 1800 flyers.
  7. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the last people I thaught I would lose I've lost and no new ones at all. The people I had been working for the longest and I chraged the least are the ones who said the son or neighbor or someone else would do it for $10 since they will use the customers mower, not bag, not pay for gas, etc. I'm down to 1 day a weeks worth of work now and I can't find a part time job either. Damn no wonder people jump of bridges, this is really starting to suck. I do extremely highend work for pretty low prices but I still lose out to kids and other losers.
  8. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

I usually pick up most of my new clients in June and July when the homeowners decide they don't want to mow in the heat anymore or their other guy disappeared. They almost always carry over to the next year and become permanent. I only lost 1 this year and that's because he wanted me to mow with a push mower and I refused. Not a big loss.
    I should say that I also gained 3 new properties. Waiting for June.

I have seen a few new guys with Crapsman tractors hanging out the back of their vans or little S10,s. I also have seen a few guys with old front tine tillers trying to break new ground for $20.00. Lost a few new tilling jobs to them. They won't be around long though.
  9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

This year started a bit slow but my commercial side has taken off quite nicely.
    From my queries what I have learned concerns more of a budget issue than a desire for the client(s) to maintain their respective properties.
    All I can suggest is to keep your name out there.
  10. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 5

You see, when you do "high end" work for low wages you create a situation where you work only for cheapazzes who will drop you when someone else comes along who does "high end" work for even lower wages.
    That's why I will walk away from a job if getting it is based solely on price. I've built a pretty good clientelle based on quality and they pay what I charge, (you still can't rob them by asking $100.00 per hour.), within reason and won't go for the cheaper guy because I give them what they want for their property needs. Some have gone the lowest bid route and were ultimately unhappy with the outcome. And I don't have to do 20 yards a day to make my money. I do an average of 8 yards a day for an average of $46.50 per yard + all the side work, which is extra. And I usually don't work weekends anymore.
    Took a very long time to learn this principle and a longer time to build a pretty much bullet proof clientelle. I've even had a couple of them tell me that their neighbor offered to do their prop for free and they turned them down flat. For now anyways. I hope the future is as good to me.