Slow paying customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TPnTX, Jun 6, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a relatively wealthy customer who won't stay current. Its about 280.00 a month and if I have a hard time gettting her to pay now, I can just imagine how hard it will be come december.

I just sent out an invoice and she still owes the one before that. Im ready to address it. She got behind before and payed. They own a lumber yard, corvettes, f350s escalade six car garage 400k house, new flat screen box on the patio and the betch can't pay up.

I feel like roundup'in the whole f'n place sometimes.

Of course that would make me worse than her.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you should talk to her face to face. Don't be rude or anything, but just politely say to her that payment is due within X amount of time after recieving the invoice. And if you really wanted to you could tell her that your billing policies have changed and now there is X amount of time to pay the bill. Just be very polite with her and explain to her the situation. Good luck with her!

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

sometimes folks with all those things actually don't have any money. Its all tied up in "things". be nice and talk to her and explain that you have bills to pay too. and make you she knows theres a late fee attached

4. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

might beat around and tell her with some humor that you're still working on getting a flat screen for your living room and could only dream of having one on your porch.

I'd appreciate my money please.

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

Take credit cards it has helped so so much with the slow payers

6. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to try and visit with her today. I've offered the CC option before.

A freind of mine owns a tanning company. He told me she was a PITA with them too.

I got this customer one day at the post office. She saw me and asked for a quote. They have lived there of 15 years and you can throw a stick and hit a LCO around here. So I'm beginning to suspect that she is more than just a slow payer.

Picture this, she hires an LCO in March who signs you up for a 12 month contract. Add up all the services for a year, divide by 12 and begin monthly payments. The contract states early termination will require payment of the balance.

What are you going to do, if they stop paying? Drag them to court? I doubt it. Who has the time.

Anyway she just waits till the next year for some other sucker

7. the angler

the angler LawnSite Member

i agree with mower brad and sweet tator ......after your done mowing the lawn brush off your pants wipe the sweat of your face knock on the door with a past due invoice and just be pleasant and ask for payment ...ive done this twice this year both times i got my check right then ....if they are happy with your work see if they would prefer to pre pay

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Charge intrest. the MAX the law allows, that;s what we do.

include a late fee, a fileing fee, a bank fee...

Total it can reach 120.00. Thats what we do and you would be surprised how quickly payments come in.....

If they dont like it, they can go else where

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

This lady sounds like fun. Face to face gets you a check 9 times out of ten. I love it because most of them will be visibly embarrassed and apologize over and over because they know you deserve to be paid, and that they are losers. While you are there tell her that you want to be paid in advance for next month as well. Then after that, no $$ = no cut. You are now in control of this pita and can drop her at will without fear of not getting paid.

10. jaredslawnserv

jaredslawnserv LawnSite Member

i agree with lawnbrother.