Slow release fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by playersc, May 16, 2008.

1. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

After a soil sample my local extension office noted that I need to fertilize with 15-0-15 50% slow release on May 1st and July 1st at 6lb per 1000sqft. I have not applied any fertilizer yet (May 16th today). Should I still use the slow release since I am 15 days behind on my schedule, adjust my fertilizer weight, use a fast realease. Any suggestions will be helpfull, all products will be purchased from Lesco if you feel I should try something else.
    Thanks playersc.

2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

If they have it, use 18-0-18 50%slow and apply at 5lbs/thou.sq.ft.
    Do at eight week intervals and you'll be fine.
    4% iron and half mop/sop

3. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

What type of grass are you managing?
    Shade?
    Sun?
    Irrigation?
    or
    water by hand.
    Mowing?
    Aerations?
    Ph levels?
    What do you use the land for?
    Intertanment?
    or
    Apperances Only?

Is it walked on?
    Pet's?
    Kid's?
    Growing on a slope?
    or level grown?
    Watering habits?
    Temp?

4. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

I am guessing you are talking about centipede. Always go slow release. I have had best results with 33% SCU and 33% Nutralene or Nitroform with a small percentage of iron. You may have to wait a few extra days for the first greenup but you will get a more continuous feeding cycle with slow release. It is very important to not overdose the nitrogen on centipede.

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

most exstension advice a balanced fert LIKE 15-0-15 (1 to 1). look at the anaylsis not only the first #. 15 get 7.5 1000 sq ft... 18-0-18 gets 9 1000sq ft .... but look at the last # pot ashe you will see 2 types MOP and SOP. SOP is usually more $ and less chlorine. find one that has a nice combo of both and start your program as reccomended