Slow release fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by playersc, May 16, 2008.

1. playersc

playersc LawnSite Member

After a soil sample my local extension office noted that I need to fertilize with 15-0-15 50% slow release on May 1st and July 1st at 6lb per 1000sqft. I have not applied any fertilizer yet (May 16th today). Should I still use the slow release since I am 15 days behind on my schedule, adjust my fertilizer weight, use a fast realease. Any suggestions will be helpfull, all products will be purchased from Lesco if you feel I should try something else.
    Thanks playersc.
  2. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

If they have it, use 18-0-18 50%slow and apply at 5lbs/thou.sq.ft.
    Do at eight week intervals and you'll be fine.
    4% iron and half mop/sop
  3. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

What type of grass are you managing?
    water by hand.
    Ph levels?
    What do you use the land for?
    Apperances Only?

Is it walked on?
    Growing on a slope?
    or level grown?
    Watering habits?
  4. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

I am guessing you are talking about centipede. Always go slow release. I have had best results with 33% SCU and 33% Nutralene or Nitroform with a small percentage of iron. You may have to wait a few extra days for the first greenup but you will get a more continuous feeding cycle with slow release. It is very important to not overdose the nitrogen on centipede.
  5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

most exstension advice a balanced fert LIKE 15-0-15 (1 to 1). look at the anaylsis not only the first #. 15 get 7.5 1000 sq ft... 18-0-18 gets 9 1000sq ft .... but look at the last # pot ashe you will see 2 types MOP and SOP. SOP is usually more $ and less chlorine. find one that has a nice combo of both and start your program as reccomended