slow release nitrogen

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 16, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

what's % slow release N to you guys look for? Here is when I apply and I'm looking for some recommendations.

Fescue
    spring - use a 96%(applied in FEB at high rate. summers here are hot and we don't feed)
    fall- typical starter at seeding
    Fall- high slow release applied in Nov to help keep green color through winter

Here's where I need some help.....warm season

Bermuda(1 lb N)/centipede (.4-.5 lb N)
    - depending on green up I fert 3 times starting in may and ending in august or september. I have considered a 4th app and will be evaluating my cost this year. So I may be hitting them every 6 weeks or so.

-what is a good slow release number to look for to get good even feeding without a major growth jump?

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

As a general rule use a higher percentage of slow release the warmer the temps. The mfg's usually go with something like 30, 50, 70%.

3. MySide

MySide LawnSite Member

Why not use the 96% that you're using on your fescue?
    When you say you end in Aug or Sep, does that mean that's your last app? or when the fertilizer fades out? If I were treating bermuda, I would like a slow release to fade out towards the end of October. When I moved from an all cool season golf course to a bermuda golf course, I was told the rule of thumb was to not feed bermuda after labor day. I then had a ton of dollar spot. I started using a 12 week slow release product, and put down 1.5#N/M on August 1st, which fed basically .5#N / month. Eliminated the dollar spot. No surge of growth at application. just good green color until the real cold set in.