Slow-released Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Feb 22, 2008.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

We may change tactics this summer on the use of Nitrogen. Looked into the Uflexx. What I'm really looking for is a Nitrogen product that is Nitrogen-0-0 that is slow released. What products has anyone found that they like. Seems like the irrigated yards are needing more before they should. Could some one recommed either an Anderson's or Lesco. Would like an analysis something like 18-0-0 that is slow released. I could call Anderson's or Lesco but of course their opinion is one sided.
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

JDL/Lesco has a 39-0-0 100% slow release and a 21-0-0 Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer. You could go to the CO-OP to get straight urea or Ammonium Sulfate but I would recommend at least a 50% slow release product. Remember, the less phosphorus and potassium you put in the bag the more nitrogen you can put in. If they don't put in nitrogen to fill the bag they will put in a filler to fill the bag. A bag of 18-0-0 would be very small and would only cover 9,000 Sq. Ft. If soil tests indicate it, and mine do, I am all for reducing the phosphorus and potassium you have to buy.
    If you do buy enough, JDL/Lesco will special blend whatever you want.

3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Although they have a much higher analysis than you're looking for, straight nitroform (ureaformaldehyde) 38-0-0 is extremely slow release with a very low salt index. It's not the cheapest product around but blended with other nutrients I've had excellent results with it on trees and shrubs over the years. For my landscape maintenance accounts I like to use it because I only need to fertilize once a year with it. I don't have much experience with it on lawns but from what I've seen it seems to work well. I'm planning on using it on a few accounts this year to see how it works.

Nutralene is 40-0-0? and a slow-release that works a little differently. Staight IBDU is 31-0-0. I haven't used these in their straight forms before so maybe somebody else can chime in.

4. PHS

"If soil tests indicate it, and mine do, I am all for reducing the phosphorus and potassium you have to buy"

Ditto

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

The most nearly perfect of worlds would be to mix my own. I just do not need a ton at a time. 1 ton was the minimum that the local place would mix. Thanks

6. PHS

I hear ya. For most of the commonly used N forms seems like just about anything you could need is available.

With Nitroform, which I'm a big fan of, there isn't nearly as many options available and custom blending might be more realistic. I spoke with one blender and said I needed a 22 pallet minimum order which is way more than where I'm at right now :). Some family friends own a farm supply store and said they could do a 1 ton minimum blending also but the cost was pretty high per bag. Who knows, if I like the results from trying straight NF on turf maybe I'll reconsider the blending route if I can't find something comparable in the meantime.

When fertilizing high value trees from soil tests I add each component serparately to the mix based on requirements and soil inject them. With powdered NF you need very srong agitation.

7. PHS

8. both would be great

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I used the 39-0-0 100% from Lesco last year on some sports turf. It was OK, but with any poly, there's always the chance of inconsistent/catastophic release. What about 46-0-0 Uflexx? I like the Nitroform and Nutralene ideas, too. Or...here's an awesome looking product. http://www.lebturf.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prd.product_details&pid=524 30-0-0 100% MESA (urea, ammonium sulphate and methylene urea). I Don't know the cost and I haven't used this specific product, but the Mesa's kicked a** for me last year. It's what I'm going with for my summer apps. this year.

10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

“Formaldehyde can be useful as a disinfectant, as it kills most bacteria and fungi (including their spores). It is also used as a preservative in vaccinations. In medicine, formaldehyde solutions are applied topically to dry the skin, such as in the treatment of warts. “

“Slow-release fertilizers are gaining acceptance to increase fertilizer use efficiency and reduce environmental impact. The release of nitrogen from methylene urea, a common slow release N fertilizer, is controlled by microbial decomposition”

“Methylene ureas (MU) are slow-release nitrogen fertilizers degraded in soil by microbial enzymatic activity. Improved utilization of MU in agricultural production requires more knowledge about the organisms and enzymes responsible for its degradation. A Gram-negative, MU-degrading organism was isolated from a soil in Sacramento Valley, California. The bacterium was identified as Agrobacterium tumefaciens (recently also known as Rhizobium radiobacter) using both genotypic and phenotypic characterization. The pathogenic nature of the organism was confirmed by a bioassay on carrot disks. The MU-hydrolyzing enzyme (MUase) was intracellular and was induced by using MU as a sole source of nitrogen. The bacterial growth was optimized in NH4Cl, urea, or peptone, whereas the production and specific activity of MUase were maximized with either NH4Cl or urea as a nitrogen source. The result has a practical significance, demonstrating a potential to select for this plant pathogen in soils fertilized with MU.”

So let me get this straight, you are applying Formaldehyde which is a known Carcinogen and supporting a proven biological pathogen.

UM, I don't think you have thought this through completely