Slow site

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by LSAdmin, Sep 5, 2004.

1. LSAdmin

LSAdmin Web Developer Staff Member

As you may have noticed, the site is slow at times today. This is because while the upgrade is mostly complete, I still have to rebuild things such as attachments and the search index, and that takes extra system resources.

Everything should be back to normal tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Great Job Pierre!

Doesn't seem to be too much slower right now, but I am sure everyone will understand and cope for one day....besides, well worth it considering all the new features!

3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

A big thumbs up for the software upgrade. The site seems quite a bit faster to me already. I e-mailed one the the administrators or moderators a few months ago asking why Lawnsite wasn't using a newer version of vBulletin like the 'other' lawn sites were. They said they were going to look into it. If this is the result, then thanks very much.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Titles?

What is going to be the new titles now? I see member, new member, lawnsite addict, and registered user.

What does this all mean? I used to be a millimum member, but now my name is changed to registered user

5. LSAdmin

I'm glad to see that it's already faster for you. The HTML code of the site is much cleaner than it was (it now uses CSS) so you'll notice a difference, especially if you are on a slow connection. The server should also serve the site faster now, although we should really start seeing a difference tomorrow when the search index is rebuilt (indexing 700,000+ posts takes time!).

LawnSite is bigger than many other boards, and the upgrade therefore needed more planning than for a smaller board. We wanted to make sure that things would be done right, which is why we didn't install vBulletin 3 right when it became available. It was in our plans anyway, and now you see the result. :)

6. LSAdmin

It seems that all members in the group "Registered members" had their user titles reset to that during the upgrade. I have corrected that, and you are a Millennium Member again.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thanks for the change back :)

8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Your doing a hell of a job,it's not easy to change over and you have done it,so once again be props and don't let criticisim bother you it's just a chnge for the better..

9. LSAdmin

Just to keep you updated, the search index is now 33% rebuilt after 5h30, so the search function should be working normally by tomorrow noon.

10. LSAdmin

The search index was finally completely rebuilt today, so the site should be at its normal speed now. Please come in large groups tonight so that we can test LawnSite and see if it behaves better with 300 users online than it used to do :)

More seriously, I'm not aware of any "too busy" error since we upgraded, but if you get one, please let me know. I'll also closely check my server monitoring graphs this week to see if there are periods when the server load is problematic, and see what needs to be done to correct that in the (I hope) unlikely event that it would be the case.