slow speed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TALLEY-HOE, Sep 10, 2002.

1. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

my 20 hp walker seems to be slowing down. kohler motor seems to be hitting on both cylinders, put new belts on mower, checked pulleys. please help--any suggestions.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

loosen the fuel cap while running, if that doesn't do it then change out the fuel and air filter.

3. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

i just changed the air filter. will try changing the fuel filter. how long do i run with loose fuel cap? thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

4. khouse

leave it loose for at least 10 minutes to check the vent. loose enough to pull air past tha cap.

5. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

i think i didn't explain my problem correctly. my motor is running fine. the problem is my mower in general is not moving as fast as it should. the hydraulic motors appear to be fine. belts-new. mower is just not moving like it should. pulleys appear to be fine.

6. khouse

When you first start out in the morning before your mower gets hot - does it work OK then? I would say change out the hydro oil and final drive. Make sure all the tires are inflated correctly and the rear wheel turns free. I believe there is a screen under the oil resevours on the hydro's. But I don't think thats it. Have you had to add fluid to it much? Maybe you added too thin of oil? Maybe the hydro's are just getting tired? How many hours on the unit? Maybe your engine is not up to the recomended RPM rating. A slightly plugged fuel filter can fool you and slow your engine down with it still sounding OK.

7. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

starts up slow from the start. mower is getting some years on it but each hydro motor has been changed over the years due to other reasons. tires are ok. my next process is to change the hydro fluids. this problem started rather quickly, & not pulling to one side. hard for me to think both pumps going out at the same time. thanks for your help. my new drive belt still slipping alittle under a strain. changed drive pulley---no help. I'm still listening!!!!