Slow start to season here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, Apr 9, 2003.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut 15 lawns last friday and it has rained or sleeted ever since. Cold temps in the 30"s and 40"s slowed growth. We are just like urban farmers subject to the weather. We pressure washed and stained a deck last thurs. and it was 84. I'm already juggling my schedule. It was nice to get the smell of fresh cut grass though. it is a sickness!!!

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jeff, it could be worse, your lawns could be under 6 inches of snow right now like mine are! We were just finishing up the clean-ups we didn't get to in the fall, and now this. This is by far the worst 5-6 months of weather I have ever seen here. Anyway, we will find a way to get the work done! Good luck this year, Mike

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I hear that! We got hit with rain the end of last season. Now this year, we get about a week of good weather, and 2 weeks of 30 degree weather. Then rain, and now snow. Seems like we can't catch a break lateley. Hope this white stuff melts, and this is the last of it. This really screws alot of jobs up now. :(

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here...17 last Thursday and Friday and then things came to a screeching halt. 6 inches of snow on Monday and now rain the rest of the week. Just lovely:angry: Maybe I should go back to working at a desk job:dizzy:

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

You took the words out of my mouth Rod...but no thanks...we're a tough bunch of idiots....once you have the freedom(and the headaches) of your own biz, its hard to go back to being a wage slave....Mother Nature has been a real mother the past year

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

While we are not having the ideal weather here it is not as bad as you gentlemen are having. We are just have the hot & cold spells separated by multiple days of rain. It is impossible to keep up.

Gravely_Man

7. Greener Side

Greener Side LawnSite Member

Im sick of this weather. My second year working for myself and I have of ton of work lined up, but I cant get anything done. Snow in April, this is crazy. I think right now mother nature has got us Northeasterners by the b****.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

everyone will be calling all at once. I guess we were lucky to get the first 15 done. My deck washing customers are calling and I cant give them a date yet. What drought ? I live near liberty reservoir and it was 40 down last fall and its full to the top now.

9. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I wish I had your problems... Mine is drought, the city is thinking about no watering this year...if we dont get lots of rain or snow I wont be working at all...I think I would rather be behind

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point.

I always said that "problems of volume (too much work) can be solved...it's when you have no volume, you have a problem".