Slow Times

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasscutterman, Mar 12, 2007.

1. grasscutterman

grasscutterman LawnSite Member

I have a few questions?

1-When the weather is very hot and the grass does not grow I was wondering who out there still cuts?

2-Going along with that has anyone ran into the situation when clients cancel for weeks on end until the grass grows again? It really puts us in the $hole.

3-Is it ok to charge more when clients want to hire you and the grass is hip high?

4-The bulk of our clients are right outside the city, they usually want their lawns cut every 2 weeks. The yards are smaller and we usually price them between 17-22. However, sometimes the 2 week cut has grass that has grown knee high, is there a recommendation for pricing 2 week cuts?

2. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

While mowing isn't my main business, I do like it for the steady income. There are some customers that i stretch to 10 days or two weeks in the summer when nothing's growing. Honestly, the majority of them seem to find me an odd job or two to do at their property to help make up for it. I think they appreciate my putting their best interests above my own at times.

On two week cuttings, I have a few. I let them know that in the spring, two weeks is way too long. It's bad for the grass and bad for me. If they insist I usually explain that my price went up because I can't stand to leave the clipping lying there to kill the grass and I have to cut it twice anyway. They understand. One exception is my neighbor who's a single mom just getting by and before she rented the house I was mowing it for nothing just to keep my house looking nice.

I've founf that if you try to do what your customers want, they appreciate it in a lot of ways. If it's not working, they seem more inclined to accept the change after you've tried it their way. Maybe it makes them feel more involved. Sort of a "we're all in this together" type of approach.

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

1. I slow it down to 3/month if it is growing slow.
    2. Sucks, but take them back if you need the business.
    3. Absolutely, if it takes three cuts because it is 20" high, you gotta charge extra for that 1st cut.
    4. Same as #3, take the work, charge a fair price. Fair for you and the customer.

I have some 2-week customers. If their lawn would normally be $40, I'd charge them maybe $55. They save money ($110/4 weeks vs. $160/4 weeks), and I charge extra for the extra 15 minutes of cutting. It works for me.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I adjust the cut frequency, per customer, according to the lawn's needs.
    This prevents it from burning, and the customer from cancelling.