slower tip's cutting better now, can this be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, Jun 5, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

ok so i had a spindle on my band new everride go bad. i think i just didn't have enough grease in it from new, even though i greased everything before i used it for the first time.

i got the part and it had a bigger top pulley. (the dealer screwed up and gave me the one for a 60" deck). there was some confusion about the part and i couldn't wait for the correct part so i installed the bigger pulley. i could notice(by hearing) a decrease in spindle speed.

i was having problems this spring with build up under the deck... see pictures here.

i was having problems with it dumping when i disengaged the blades it was also clumping and had a big problem with build up. it seemed like a giant blender under there. the build up was like mud

the slower speed seemed to improve almost all my problems i was having in wet conditions. today i was cutting in the rain(it's been raining here all week) the clippings are discharging better there is a lot less build up and no more dumping form clippings sticking to the top of my deck and then falling when i shut the blades off.

the smaller pulley came in but i'm almost hesitant to put it back in there. maybe i need to switch to some type of low lift blade.

does it seem possible that the slower tip speed is actually better?
  2. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

For all the reasons you stated, a slower blade tip speed and/or low lift blades generally do better in wet conditions. Your performance might suffer when things dry out though.

3. grass disaster

the bigger pulley will be nice for the rough mowing jobs that i do. it should offer less slipping too i would think.

i'll probably go back to the smaller pulley in a month once things start to really dry out.
  4. JimQ

Is it just one spindle on the trim side of the deck?

5. grass disaster

no it's the top pulley on the center spindle.
  6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

might stretch out the belt if youre not careful
  7. JimQ

Don't worry about belt stretch. 1 sheave of a slightly different diameter won't effect it. Generally speaking, the larger the sheave hte better as far as blet life is concerned. A typical deck belt will stretch about 1% over its life. So, a deck belt that's 175" will probably stretch 1-3/4".

I am a bit surprised that you would notice a significant difference by lowering the RPM of the center spindle.

You can generally lower the RPM of the trim side spindle without much effect on performance. The center and discharge blades are forced to handle 2x and 3x the material.

8. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

slightly slower blades are better for wet grass.

like JimQ said, I would be curious to see what a dry condition would bring for you

good luck
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been saying this for years here at Lawnsite.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I lower the rpm's all the time (thus lowering tip speed) when it's wet. Works great with high lift blades because you don't want all that lift when it's wet. The first Tritons came out with lower tip speed because it worked better in various conditions according to Exmark, but it didn't work at high speed as well so they had to go back.