Slowing down when it is hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jun 8, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I find myself physically slowing down when the weather gets hotter and hotter. I'm solo and I have noticed the hotter it gets the longer the yards take. Only by a few minutes typically but still. It was like 107* yesterday and is coolin down to 95* this week for the warm up next week. Does this happen to anyone else??
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Here in the sunshine state it stays hot from April-October. Usually 90* or higher in the summer. Yes, I do slow down if I have to mow after about 2:00 pm. I usually get done by 3 o'clock or so and go home to the pool and ice cold suds. That makes it all worth it.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just have to pace yourself more during the hot months..
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: water, water , water, and maybe a red bull here or there. keep drinkin.
  5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Water, water, water. True. But that's not enough. You have to replace electolytes as well or you don't do yourself any favors. An old runner's trick is to nibble on a small (6 oz.) bag of potatoe chips when you drink water. Also.......take a couple banannas with you & snack on those. Most importantly, don't wait until you're thirsty to drink water. Just drink it regularly throughout the day. I keep 2 gal. of iced down water on my trailer & every time I go to the trailer to get equipment, arrive on a new site, etc.........I take a drink. Amazing how 1 - 1.5 gallons disappear every day.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i slow down considerably. i wear contacts and when all that sweat gets in my eyes, it burns!
  7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Cold water all day long, sip the water do not guzzle, when you sip you retain more. I also use Pediasure ( used for young kids that are dehydrated ) when it's extremely hot, it works wonders, comes in a couple of different flavors.
  8. DR Lawn & Landscape

DR Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

fluids is the key. tip: if your know you are busy the next day, bulk up on fluids the night before, your body will have a "reserve" for the upcoming day. additives such as those mentioned before (pediasure, etc. is a must ) check out your local health store for a powder mix of electolytes and potassium it helps.
  9. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

All trailers have a 5 gallon water jug on it. Crews are responsible for keeping it filled with ice water(they charge the ice on the fuel card)....Chuck
  10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Iced coffee, tea, fruit just can't beat good old water. If you are hot take a break..hit some shade.