Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by klite, Apr 3, 2000.

1. klite

klite LawnSite Member

Hello To All.<br>What can I use to get rid of SLUGS?<br>One of my new customers has a lawn full. Small lawn though Corner row house. <br><p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>
  2. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Sounds crazy but here.<br>Take a alum flat plate put beer in it and set it on the ground at evening they craw into the beer and die. IT MAY TAKE A A WEEK OR TWO
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It's true, the beer works. I guess they can smell the acid in the beer and head for it. They have a little 2 piece device that you put the beer in and it has like a little roof over it. It keeps the water out of beer from rain and sprinklers. My wife bought some at a garden center, and they call them Snail Jails. When you lift up on the roof, the bottom has small slots in them so you lift out the slugs, or snails and you dump them out and the beer stays in the container in the ground. Works nice.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Because slugs are biologically similar to earthworms, by chemically controlling slugs, you'll also kill desireable earthworms.<p>All chemical controls I know of are RUP: Restricted Use Pesticides.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

hold a salt shaker directly over the slug and tap the bottom of the shaker gingerly with the little finger. they'll sizzle!<p>I suppose a yard full is a few to many to dispatch by the above method. for larger areas ortho makes a product called &quot;snail getta&quot; (or possibly &quot;bug getta&quot;) that works real well. it's a flakey powder that you spread over the affected area. you reapply every few weeks. good luck.<p>GEO
  6. klite

klite LawnSite Member

Thanks Guy's I think I like the Snail Jail,Ill try to find some. <br>Thanks again<br><p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>
  7. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

stab them with an ice pick. the beer works but in my neighborhood it also attacks winos who appreciate sun dried beer.
  8. If you like the natural way, try copper tape or copper wire. To much money for any size lawn but perfect for redwood boxes flower pots ect...<p>I use copper tape around my clients pond to protet the color plants i plant. Don't like to use posions unless I have to. I worry that the chemicals would seep into pond and kill his pride and joy. There are over 30 coi fish(forgive my spelling) at anywhere from $150 to $400 per fish, you can see why. <p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044