1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small claims court, L.S. decides~

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flam41, Dec 15, 2005.

1. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Is it worth going to small claims court over 50$ & principle, or should I write it off as a loss? Thanks!
  2. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

IMHO that is entirely up to you. I have a customer who owes me not much more than that and we're in step one - a court mediator. Truth be told the customer copped an attitude with me, won't answer the phone etc. so I decided it would be a good idea to learn the small claims court rules on a small amount rather than a larger one. I have to pay my bills - so do they. (If this guy had just talked to me we could most likely have worked something out, but noooooo!)
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure what services you offer or what the mowing conditions are in Texas. But if its the off season like it is here in Va. then I would go to court for the money. In Va., when you take the warrant out you have to place the amount of the lawsuit on the warrant and then we can add the price of registered letters and any incurred intrest since the first late notice was sent and any court cost. I had 4 and now Im down to 2, next step for me is the registered letter and if no pay then I have to have a deputy deliver it to the residense and if they still dont pay it seems I will be in court the first of Feb. But I would pursue it, I have wrote it off before but not anymore, I have a point to prove
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

No. use olddebts.com. Real cheap, doesn't cost much for what they do and they will add the debt to the customers credit reports. They are now a sponsor on the site.
  5. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

Money is fine now, but it's still bs. he hid from me when I went to his work today to collect. coward.
  6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it to court. Heck I took $30 to court, guy didn't respond to summons to appear therefore lost by default, garnished wages, got reimbursed for the original $30 plus all associated court costs. I refuse to write off any amount I am legally entitled to. Let me ask you this, do you pay your bills? Good I thought so, so do I. So if you and I have to play by the rules and pay our bills the rest of them S.O.B.'s are gonna to if I can help it.

P.S. I was checking on a commercial prop we take care of that is nearby this deadbeats house, I had the pleasure of seeing the Sheriff's dept. serving papers on said deadbeat in front of his neighbors.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My boss has filed as low as $14.00 suits, He says it's not about the money it's about making dead beat sob's pay just like anybody else does. And I've only heard of him loosing one case in my 14yrs. because his paperwork was incomplete.
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

If you have the time do it. This time of year in a heart beat. Durring the busy season. No way. Must be 200 or more to get me to court durring that time.
    Olddebts.com works well for most but those that get under my skin big time. Court and stick it to them.
  9. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

thanks guys
    I guess the certified letter goes out tomorrow.
  10. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

DLS1 thanks for that info. I'll check into that as well.