1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Claims Court

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LAZERLAWS, May 9, 2007.

LAZERLAWS LawnSite Member

I just started mowing this year and was wondering if you bill monthly to your clients would it be worth the trouble to take them to Small Claims Court? I mean your talking maybe $160 bucks I know that alot especially if you have two o three not pay.Any info would help.
  2. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

If you get the form from the court (get a few) Fill it out and send them a copy......They will pay. 9 times out of 10 they get scared and pay up. Make sure in the form you add the cost of filing ($75 in NJ), lawyer fee's, and interest. In my contracts I charge 3.9% anything over 14 days late (I bill monthly)
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have done it....Not for lawn work but for other things.......

It's kind of a no brainner.......But even if you win judgment you CANT make some one pay.... and if they dont pay..... put a lein against there proptery....

IT"S WORTH IT..... not so much money but for your self estine.....
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is May in you first year and you are thinking about taking people to court already:hammerhead:

LAZERLAWS LawnSite Member

NO everyone has paid so far I was just wonder what to do if and when someone stiffs me on the bill.I hope it never happens although in dealing with money theirs always that one guy who feels he shouldn't pay his bill.
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Lazer. I took several people to court in Orange Co. Fl and it is very easy. get the judgment place the lien, although in Florida you can place the lien prior to a judgment...

got paid every time....

took a renter to court over 125 bucks. I was ready to garnish her wages @ Disney when she coughed up 200 in cash to cover my costs....:)