1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Claims Court?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Husky03, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a yearly customer that I did a leaf cleanup for on November 6th. He had called me prior to doing it and told me he wanted it done and not to worry about giving him an estimate. I get finished after 5 hours or so and the guy comes out with his checkbook in hand ready to pay. I tell him it will be $150 and he almost craps his pants. He tells me he will have to give me payments yada yada. I say OK an I leave giving him his invoice. I gave him one minth until December 6th to have it payed in full. I have called him several times and have not gotten any return phone calls. His time is closing and he is not going to pay me without a fight. I am not able to write or sign contracts at my age so I think I may be hung. :angry: Would I have any chance of taking him to small claims court since there was no contract? How can I threaten this ******* :realmad:

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have one in small claims court 3 times without a signed contract. He knows he is wrong....most likly he will pay right before the court date.
  3. Husky03

Are you saying you have won 3 times in small claims court with no contract?
  4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Most people will pay up when they get the notice to appear in court.
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

husky, are you "legit"? i ask because i could see you potentially running into problems if you are not paying taxes.

that being said, i'd take him to court if all of your business affairs are in order.
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes I meant won.....Im slightly tired these days and it shows in my typing at times. :help:
  7. Husky03

tonygreek: No I am not. I will be next year. Enough said. I am not in the mood to argue. I was worried that may get in the way.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Make payments on a $150 bill????? You need to prequalify your clients better. You are 16, you cannot legally enter into a contract. BUt....go over during dinner and ask him to settle up his account. Ask Bobby Gedd on collection tactics, he has a way about him.
  9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

there's no arguing from me based upon my asking if you are legit. i ask it because that may impact your case and possibly open up the irs' can o' worms. that would be like the guy you see on "Cops" who calls the police because a drug dealer ripped him off. for $150 either use it as a lesson learned or send the guy a nice, professional-looking letter asking for the money and point out your company policy of filing liens to settle unpaid service fees.
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have two cases set up for next week one I thought might settle out of court but nothing yet.The other well he don't have two nickels to rub together but wants to sell his house so I will put a lean on his house.