small commercial mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by teach, Jun 21, 2003.

1. teach

teach LawnSite Member

I have been cutting grass (and weeds) for about 5 years now. I have decided to move to a commercial ZTR mower. I would like to spend around $6,000 (give or take a little $). I have two areas of concern, dependability and quality of cut in short and tall grass. Some brands that I have close access to are Grass Hopper, Scag, Hustler, Gravely, Bob-Cat, Toro, and Husqvarna. I'm looking for around 18-19hp with 48-52" cut. Your professional advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Teach,
    Hello from Jefferson County, TN and welcome to lawnsite. I am just starting out and just bought a Toro Walkbehind 48". So, I can't advise you on a ZTR. I'll let some of the more experienced people advise you on that. Have you looked at a Toro ZTR yet? If you don't mind driving a bit, check out Lane Sales. They are located off Hwy. 25E between Morristown and White Pine on Wilson-Hale Road. Ask for Todd or Randy. They are very good people and have taken very good care of me. If you make it up there, tell them that Tim sent you (the guy that bought the Proline 48 from them 2 weeks ago). They will know who you are talking about. Well, best of luck to you. Nice to see someone else from TN in here. :D

Tim

3. chitwood

chitwood LawnSite Member

I just ordered a new super z 60 hustler with 27hp. I have a 42in encore ztr that I've used for two years it's OK. The hustler rode and handled great I would recommend trying out the fastrak or mini Z , Hustler is running a sale this month. Line up a demo and see for your self. Good Luck it's hard to decide with the machines available today>:) :)

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a Hustler Z 60" 24 hp. Very happy with it. It seems to be a step up from the Toro.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You're going to get as many 'recommendations' as there are brands here. If you haven't already, do some searches on this site. There are pros and cons to every brand.
    Consider, if you haven't already, the type work you'll be doing, and the physical aspects of the locations you'll be working.
    Sometimes, bigger isn't better.

Have you all your other equipment yet? The amount you mention, is that just for mower? What about all the hand helds?

Just like shopping for a vehicle, go to the dealers, do some hands on shopping, and remember, everybody is a salesman.

BTW, my preference is Scag.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

You might want a little more horsepower, maybe 21-23 horses for a 48''-52'' deck. Like others said, do a search of each brand on this site & try to do some demos.

7. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Look into a wright Sentara or Stander of a Exmark Lazer ZHP
    w/48" deck (more expensive) but exzcellent machine.
    Lots of choices out there.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

From the choices you have I would get a Hustler. I'm convinced Hustler has a really good mower.

But make sure you don't have an eXmark dealer close. Demo all the mowers you like ON YOUR PROPERTIES to see what works best for your situation. Everyone is different, we all have different needs and likes. Check all your options.

9. teach

teach LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. To answer Rustic Goat's question - I do have all my other equipment. Mostly Stihl and Husqvarna brands. I also have a 6.5' x 12' trailer. I am going to spend all the $6,000 on the mower.

Sounds like a lot of people speak favorably toward the Hustler ZTR. I have demoed a Bob-Cat 52" with 19hp. It did just fine. Can anyone tell me specific details on why a Hustler might be better. Cutting grass that is just a little taller than normal is also a big concern of mine. Also, how close to $6,000 can I stay for a Hustler?

Teach

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I have had good experiences with Scag's advantage deck in tall, short, wet, dry grass.

If it was me making the purchase I woul demo the scag and hustler on my own yard after letting the grass go 2+ weeks