1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Small Commerical Rototiller

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by merrimacmill, Mar 16, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

What are you guys using for a small, lightweight commercial rototiller? I was looking at the mantis, but I have no idea if its built for commercial use. I mean I guess I won't use it all that much, so a homeowner one will work fine. But I'm just looking at all the options.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

troy built is the way to go
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I think the mantis is the highest rpms, but I do not know about the troybuilt.
    The higher the speed the more practical its use. The blade design is also optimum for the multiples surfaces.
    They last a long time and when this one dies I will get another.
  4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Honda FG 110 has the fastest tine speed. Mantis is a tad slower but not by a great amount. Mantis 4 stroke Honda has the same engine as the Honda FG 110. The Manti 2-stroke is actually an echo engine and is a tad stronger than the 4 stroke and lighter. Unless you're crippled having the extra weight is an advantage.

Last year I found myself grabbing the FG 110 3 out of 5 times over the 2 stoke Mantis. This last winter I picked up a slightly used Mantis Honda 4 stroke so it will interesting how that will compare.

As for the Troy-Bilt cultivator . . . um . . .go to Lowe's look at them and then go to the Depot and look at the Honda FG 110. I think you will see why the Honda is worth the extra $.

In one of my older posts I remember commenting on how the Mantis is better than the FG 110 on picking out rocks out the soil [@ very low rpm] because of the digging tine design. Something to consider. Maybe it's my imagination but the Mantis digging tines tend to draw in more tangled matter than the FG 110 tines. Regardless both will require occasional removing of the tines and removing all the tangled organic matter from the spindles.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i want to buy a mantis type mini tiller, but damn those things fetch a price, i dont want to spend any money , i dont have it right now. anyone know of a cheap place to get one even gently used???
  6. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older Honda FG-100 that has taken a lickin' and kept on tickin' for over 10 years. Replaced the clutch last year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if this one ever dies.
  7. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

mantis is the way to go expecially w/ the honda motor on it.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

check ebay
  9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm considering the Stihl Yardboss, as I can also hook up my rubber paddle sweeper to it. Mounted upside down (so you pull it rather than push), combined with the two handle stability would be like the cats meow for pulling gravel out of ditches. As it is, I've found nothing that works better than the paddle sweeper for cleaning up gravel, but this would be a welcome addition along with just being an all out great mini-tiller package.