Small Compact or 4x4 ATV Help?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by blair smock, Nov 26, 2004.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi Guys, I currently am part time looking at options to expand for next year, I have two Zero turns , a Jd 48” F687 Ztrak and an Exmark Lazer Z 60”- Both mowers are two good to take the chance in rough fields- I have 3 clients that want me to do Rough cuts at least 2 times per month approx 21 Ackers total. I know if I advertised this service I could add several more clients. I would also love to be able to do some snow removal for a couple of my jobs during the winter. This is what I have been considering. I want to spend a total of $6500.00

1. ATV 4x4 with 360 cc front diff lock, with 60” Swisher 18hp pull behind mower, winch 5’ snow plow- All new 1 year warranty $6500.00 out the door
    2. Used compact with 3 point hitch? Plow or snow blower? Any suggestions appreciated- I really don’t want a giant tractor
    3. small John Deere garden tractor with read diff lock and 60” deck?

Any help appreciated, Thanks guys,

2. blair smock

from OHIO

Gx255 for $5500.00 new

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Used compact, diesel 4x4 with a bush hog and rear blade later you can add a fel's to it and really start making money doing installs, moving dirt to make flower beds etc. The others are toys a compact tractor is a tool that makes you money

Mac

4. blair smock

from OHIO

make and model used, what price I should be looking for. tractors are new to me, Thanks guys. Blair

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Some good brand to look at are John Deere, Ford, Kubota, Yanmar to name some. Make sure you don't get one of those little compacts that are made in China. Those little tractors are not worth bringing home. They have a sweet price but as Envy Lawn Service says "The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweet price is forgotten" or it goes something like that. Anyway they are hard to get parts for so stay away from them. Those brands are Jinma, Farm Pro, Nortrac, Eagle, and Johnson. I'm sure there are some other names that I am not aware of as well. Make sure when you look at one that it doesn't have any major oil leaks and runs good and the usual stuff. If you don't know a lot about tractors I might suggest that if you find one you like in a price range you can afford post a thread in this forum about it and get some other opinions on it. Hope this helps.

6. pukindog51

pukindog51 LawnSite Member

I bought a John Deere 2320
    Drive shaft for front wheels fell off after 4 hours.
    That was 2 months ago and I'm still waiting to get the tractor back form the dealer. Beware new models fresh from the design department.

HAs anyone else out there lost a drive shaft ?

7. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

I bought this last December for my Lawn Maintenance business and have been happy. I wanted something to help out with large mulch jobs and removing debris. I have found many other usues since then however, you ain't gonna get it set up this way for $6500.00.

8. alexjohndeere06

alexjohndeere06 LawnSite Member

I would go with a John Deere compact as well. You could get a good deal on a used along with a new one.I would get one with a loader if possible so that you could really move dirt when you want to. I have a JD 855 that is almost 20 years old and still runs like a new one and I really love it!!!

9. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a swisher 60". I bought it used for about 800.00. I've mowed with it offset from a 42" giving me 100" cut. While that was productive, it is still not worth buying new.

Tp

10. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

u will be surprised how much more work u will get once u have it.. the atv is cool because u will have a weekend toy, but business wise the tractor is the only way to go..